Cheap reduction drive ideas

ThePog

I need a geared 12v motor with a low output speed and reasonable torque.

My first thought was a windscreen wiper motor with a worm drive but i might need more than that and probably lower speed.

Can anyone think of something else to do the job, ie cheap, grunty, common as muck etc

TIA.

45 minutes ago, UTERUS said:

I've got a few ideas, depending on what you're trying to do and how much torque you need and power available to drive the motor.

But yea, keen to know. Or PM if you want to keep it secret 

It is a lifting roof caravan i am building, the lift is done with timing belts for reasons. I have something like 60mm gear/shaft system that drives everything. I worked out that I need about 50Nm of torque at 1:1 drive to lift everything comfortably. I also needs to be running pretty slow, like 10rpm.

I was thinking about doing a build thread for it as it has some interesting features.

I just hit buy now on a cheapy atv winch which will either do it or give me context for getting something better.

39 minutes ago, mjrstar said:

What sort of duty, would a Battery drill or impact driver be an option?

This is the backup system.

16 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Have this in the 'round tuit' pile. Will work on 12V I think. Plan is to use it on a bead roller. I think it's from an electric wheelchair or similar.

20230308_165445.jpg

Yea I looked at those, probably too fast.

• Like 2

Ive got a heap of DC garage door motor electric motors and gearbox's, 24v, ive put them on a powersupply and turned the voltage right down to under 5v and the torque is quite good still.  I wouldnt trust the gearbox for lifting and holding anything not counterballanced tho, they only have a plastic gear.  In auckland tho... so.....

On 08/03/2023 at 15:49, datlow said:

12v winch... 

I saw this listing you may be interested in: 12V WINCH 2000Lb Self Recovery & Remote https://www.trademe.co.nz/4023123980

A wee boy arrived today, its actually perfect, pretty grunty, the right revs, it can be manually disconnected, already has up and down controls...

Chur for that.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like you are sorted but years ago I build a guy a bead roller (fyi it was fuckin badass, huge laser cut side plates spaced apart with heavy steel spacers)

He had me adapt it to work with a motor and gear reduction unit he found new on ebay which was for positioning either telescopes or satellite dishes (something that looks at the sky lol).

Thought it was a cool solution.