Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

Yeah I started hoarding J160s quite a while ago, so I've got some with low kms. 
One has been in dry storage for about 16 years I think now... and at the time was bought with low kms on it. 
The other that is currently in bits, has less than 1000km on it. It was pulled out of a near brand new car under warranty. 

I've currently got my 4GR bellhousing on a third box, that was ever so slightly stiff getting into 2nd gear. But it's known good as I used it for many years with the last motor. 
Using this as the test mule.
I've got a 4th good box in bits as well.
Hopefully that's enough to get me by. 
Will do circlip mod if I blow a box up, but not anticipating it as necessary.

Beams 3S makes 216nm of torque, factory 4GR makes 260nm. So it's not a huge bump. 
Generally with NA stuff the torque figure stays same-ish but you move it up the powerband.
So its a lot easier on the box than a turbo ramping in zillions of torque at 3000rpm.

With flat shifting and e-throttle blip setup (eventually) I think these boxes will have no trouble shifting at high rpm.
As with an ignition cut flat shift you dont have to wait for throttle to ramp closed before you start making less power.
You get the engines pumping losses working for you instantly, dropping the rpm really fast.

The big question is still whether this motor can be turd polished to actually make power at high rpm haha.
Cant wait to get it going! 

• Like 7

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would the larger valves on the smaller bore suffer from shrouding being so close to the bore and negate the larger valve size?

semi related, on L24 datsuns, the valve notch has to cut into the bore. So you could do it!

• Like 2

Yeah shrouding could be an issue. However I think on a 4 valve motor shrouding isnt much of an issue anyway, compared to a big single intake or exhaust valve.
I would have to check the CC of combustion chamber too, as the 3GR is only 10something to 1 compression. 
I'm not sure if thats entirely thanks to the piston, or the chamber is different. 
It makes the squish bands a little less than ideal as well.

Either way, I'll run the tiny ports/valves first and see how it goes.
I expect it'll want the bigger valves and exhaust ports though.

• Like 2

I was musing as I went for a walk this AM. Terrible idea, which results in terrible ideas. Perhaps you do that too, and maybe can you tag your morning musings something like #RomanDayfMorningMusings  for retrospective LoLs pls?

Anyways, I was pondering your 1NZ piston failure, and realised, it may have been when you shut off the throttle at high rpm, because less air-cushion, and intuitively I'd guess that high silicone pistons have less ductile / tension strength, resulting in them parting as they go over the crest, like a youtuber tesla and Cali hill roads?

So: what if you never shut off the throttle (air barrier) completely, [or at all], and so at prodigiously high rpms, there was always a gas cushion helping the piston crown stay attached to the gudgeon knuckle. Just retard / fuel cut in ecu as needed.

Added bonus, anti-lag pops/banging and massive heat at idle, for fast warmups for club racing / drags.

(actually this is all just  a sneaky move for car solidarity, because the Dai has a head gasket leak, and on hot days the idle climbs, and it sits there popping and banging like a group B rally car)

Bring back anti-lag! (even on n/a cars!)

• Like 6

@h4nd yeah ive thought similar, but using ethrottle to hold it to a minimum of say 1/4 throttle then use an ignition cut on decel. But transient conditions in and out of that would probably be... sub optimal. 

But another option is to just keep a crappy exhaust on it. Finally, an actual valid use for backpressure. Not making power, but holding piston tops on. Haha!

Oh yeah, since this engine has exhaust side vvti, I might be able to do some weird fuckery with that to try get an egr effect on decel that helps. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

With the 4.77 first and second are pretty close to what my Honda will do with 8750 rpm and a 4.4 final, which works fine in real life conditions with maybe 190 flywheel HP on a good day and 1000kg.

The difference is my 3rd is good for maybe 125kph, 4th 155kph and 5th 185kph which is what helps the little 1800 feel alive.

I'd be looking at something that brings 3rd 4th 5th closer and ignore 6th for racing duties and treat it just as a touring gear.

• Thanks 1