Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just catching up on the first posts of your thread, and the 4GR does seem like quite a good base design for high revs (bar the smallish valves). I've plugged the basic dimensions in to my little engine internal forces database to see how different rpm ranges compare to other engines/setups. Mean piston speed is a halfway decent way of working out how high an engine might rev, but the thing that kills rods and pistons is maximum acceleration at TDC (the piston screaming up to the top of the stroke then doing a full 180 in a fraction of a second to come back down the bore).

At 10k rpm the 4GR is pulling 5449g which...is up there. No production engines have that high forces, and only a tiny handful of tuned ones. Your 1NZ is one of them at 5016g at 9000rpm. There was a bloke with a billet-cranked stroker S54 that was 5975g at his 9000rpm redline. K20a's at 9000rpm are 5131g. If you take F20a's to 9200rpm which they can do that's 5088g. That's it that I've come across, though I started it to look at long stroke I6s and torsional resonance so it's probably missing a fair few high-revving V6s.

If you take the 4GR down to 9000rpm then that's 4413g which is far more common for a lot of high revving stuff. High revving big-bore Alfa V6s hit 4608g at 9k rpm and they're far less built for revs than the 4GR. The factory redline for an S52B32 is 4137g, and are happy up to 4352g. Stock K20a limiter is 4685g, and F20C is 4655g. @kpr's 9k rpm short-rod 4AGE is 4616g.

All depends a bit on the piston and rod weight though, which I can't find online for the 4GR. 5000g with a 300g piston is going to be a lot less load than even 3000g with a 600g piston.

Journal/bearing surface speeds are up there as well. At 10k rpm they're 10.17m/s for the mains and 8.0 m/s for the big ends. I've only come across folks racing Jag V12s that are higher. 9k rpm again is more acceptable (though still high) at 9.15 and 7.2m/s respectively. The 993 GT3 3.8 is about there at 9.0 and 7.8 m/s, but that's pretty much it that I've come across. Not sure if they like to eat bearings like S54s or if they're ok. Big bearings and small stroke does make for a stiff crank though, so hopefully torsional vibrations would be less of an issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thought you'd never ask :grin:

Yeah I know practically nothing about bearing speeds and oil shear, other than that it happens and this thread mentioned a chappy trying to rev a Mazda K8-DE to 10,000rpm and killing bearings due to oil shear (he'd tapped the block to measure pressure at each main bearing which never dropped, but was still wiping bearings). I'm assuming they meant he killed main bearings, but it's possible he was killing big ends. There's also a thing when you're spinning high rpm that the oil pressure isn't great enough to force itself from the outside of the main bearings 'upwards' towards the centre of the crank, starving the big ends. That's why you get things like nose-fed cranks in high end motorsport. Either way it's caused by the diameter of the main bearings and how fast the crank's spinning.

Yeah the trade-off of having big bearings from it being a 2.5l version of an engine designed as 3.5l is that the crank should be pretty strong. Even with the smaller big ends of the 4GR it still has generous crankpin overlap which is a good indicator of rigidity. It might be a big V6, but V6 cranks are inherently short anyway. All bodes well for avoiding torsional resonance and other nastyness.

I think I'd got some numbers for kpr's pistons and rods. Not sure if it was from here or just online, but plugging those in to 10k rpm gives roughly 3.2 tons of peak force on the crankpin (fudged a little as I don't actually know the weight of the little end so it's an approximation). That's definitely going some! Although I've just done a cursory look into bike engines and they're something else entirely. Went for a Ducati Panigale V-twin as there's more info out there than the V4 and they've actually got car-sized cylinder volumes. 11k rpm on a 60.8mm stroke and 116mm bore :shock: 5272g and 4.2 tons. Highest I've come across for a production engine by some 13%.

Very true on the valvetrain! Might be worth running with no bonnet for the first few high rpm pulls :grin:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Yeah definitely goes to show how the actual thing that matters is weight. Can't find rod length for the short-stroke R, but if it's the same as the non-R then it hits 9000g at 16500rpm :shock:

Found some piston weights for it though. It's all marketing gumph rather than a bloke with some scales and oily bits so I'm a little skeptical, but they mentioned 'saving 5g/2% on the R piston' which would put it at 250g for the non-R and 245g for the R. No idea on conrods, but I know they're Ti so if they're anything like the 375g rods of the 1299R then that puts it at about 4.4 tons. Still very much up there, but comparable to the 1299R at 12000rpm.

Amazing what lightweight spinny bits and a short stroke can do (though there's a hell of a lot of guesswork in those numbers).

• Like 1

interesting stuff.  

The pistons in my short rod engine  are 404 grams, inc pin and rings.   rods  around 465 grams.  

Long rod engine was stock pistons- 443 grams ,   rods  487 grams

guessing the long rod, even though pulling a few less g's would more likely to fly to bits due to the piston weight.

• Thanks 1

It was definitely interesting when I pulled the 1NZ apart and saw that the piston had ripped in half. 
Rather than the rods breaking which people usually do. (At much lower rpm, loading motor up with forced induction) 

I cant find any data on factory 1NZ piston weight. However JUN 1NZ pistons are 232 grams with the pin included! 
Not sure how much OEM ones are, but they also felt incredibly light.
Well, at least the half of one that I was holding...
Then the rods are tiny toothpicks as well. 
Looking through some logs it would bounce to 9200rpm when doing burnouts at the drags. 

• Haha 3

Shimless buckets in the 1NZ. 

I think (?) rockers means you can have a more aggressive ramp rate as you're not limited by diameter of the bucket. 

But, on the whole the type of rockers present in GR motors seem to be troublesome / not ideal.

1 minute ago, Roman said:

Shimless buckets in the 1NZ. 

I think (?) rockers means you can have a more aggressive ramp rate as you're not limited by diameter of the bucket. 

But, on the whole the type of rockers present in GR motors seem to be troublesome / not ideal.

Any valvetrain conversion options if it's the limiting factor?

Yes, these motors are a bit like lego sets. 

There is the head, itself, then there's another layer up that holds the underside of the cams and rockers. Then cam caps bolt onto that. 
The 1GR engine, unlike the others is actually a valve on bucket engine. 
So, although it would be a bit of an engineering exercise. Not impossible to design a completely different cam/rocker arrangement that bolts on top of the head.

However there are also some intermediate options like just designing some lighter rockers, or whatever.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Roman said:

There is the head, itself, then there's another layer up that holds the underside of the cams and rockers. Then cam caps bolt onto that. 
So, although it would be a bit of an engineering exercise. Not impossible to design a completely different cam/rocker arrangement that bolts on top of the head.

However there are also some intermediate options like just designing some lighter rockers, or whatever.

Was doing some reading (I'm in the airport waiting to board) 

Apparently solid lifter conversions would allow circa 500rpm more (if the hydraulic lifters have issue) but would reduce cam duration so would need lager cams to compensate.

And fully agree on weight reduction helping to reduce mass/friction at higher RPM 

Been interesting reading about if certain engine parts will be able to lubricate correctly at the rpm your aiming for.

Are you planning on opening up the bottom end and doing any mods or is the plan to just run it stock and see what happens? 

@kpr Just added those numbers in and you're right. Although the long rod pull 150g less at 10k rpm that's offset by the added weight of pistons and rods: 3.2 tons for the short rod and 3.35 tons for the long rod.

@Roman Man those pistons are superlight! Carillo reckon their rods weigh 383g, though I'm never sure if they include the rod bolts with their weights. Even so, that's about 2.2 tons at 10,000rpm which is sort of middling factory figures for a lot of engines. It takes 12,000rpm to get to the same 3.2 tons as kpr's 4AGE. If the V6 doesn't work out like you'd hoped I vote try and get a 1NZ to rev to the moon :D

I reckon your deconstructed piston was the piston itself tearing apart due to g forces. People think about rods a lot but pistons can be quite happy to chuck their crowns off at high speeds too!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roman said:

Yeah the early 1grs are shimless buckets but they changed to rockers about 2010-11 when they went to dual vvti, the other problem with the 1gr is, even tho it has a almost identical head gasket, it has a 94mm bore so I would guess the valve spacing would be to big for 4gr.. 

No worries :) lighter pistons does the trick for the long rod. 3.1 tons at 10k rpm, compared to 3.2 for the short rod with the same pistons (3137kg vs 3186kg, so not quite as big as the rounding suggests). Was 3353kg with the heavier pistons and long rods.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 21:48, Roman said:

Buying a few blocks and making some parts to fix things that go boom is in the long term development budget.

Bahaha, if you don't start a slush fund for me to contribute to these shenanigans, I shall be frowny face. If that goes stonkingly well; after reading the comments on reducing weight to reduce high RPM stress, you could get the Italian metal wizards to make you titanium rockers, etc? Ceramic pistons??

Oh and bearing speed, oil shear etc, any option to do what the 2T goons do, and throw in roller bearings?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1