Infrared temperature guns - please educate me

Flash

Hiya All.

I'm about to start investigating a temperature related issue on one of my projects and I'm thinking a good place to start would be getting myself one of those infrared temperature guns so that I can check out what is actually going on at each point in the cooling system.

Prices seem to vary on the units and I don't really want to spend more than I need to as it's not something I'm going to get a lot of use out of. But, I also don't want to buy something that isn't accurate enough as I could end up chasing my tail.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what unit to buy and also any tips or tricks on how to use the gun as I'm a newbie to all of this.

Ta in advance

I got a fairly cheap one. It can tell if one side of the radiator is hot and if one side is cold, I think it was about 30 bucks, I use it quite a bit on motorcycle engine cases and radiators when running in and tuning

This is a point and shoot and it displays the temperature. Not a screen of heat signatures

• Like 1

I use one regularly at work. Although it sends out a pinpoint laser dot so you can tell where it's aimed, the actual measurement area gets bigger as you go farther away from the gun. You don't need to consider that if you're using it at close range - it's effectively a point measurement unless you're far from something.

While you're holding down the trigger, mine continuously updates the average temp of the measurement area as well as updating the maximum temp of that session. Those two numbers are all it gives you.

I've used it on the thermostat housing of the Jag because I was suspicious of the temperature gauge on the dash. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have a cheap aliexpress gun style one. It shoots an optional red dot and has a colourful led screen that only funtion is to show the measured temp at approx where the dot is.

Have used to tune sideys (exhaust runner temp)  check radiadiators, wonder about double glazing, diagnose busted oven elements and similar.

Reccomended tool, feels solid and seems surprisingly sensitive as you wave it around and gives a good sense of relative temps of things. 

• Like 4

Cheap guns only have one emissivity setting so can vary wildly depending on surface, a cold black item can read higher than hot polished stainless etc.

Expensive guns have full emissivity control but you can never be bothered to change it -Hold down 2 buttons in a sequence you can never find the instructions to remember.

Easy way to get around this is buy a cheapish option and just place a small square of masking tape on the surface as a target, i've found it to be as accurate as you'd look for in such a device. 

• Like 8

as above, most guns available wont give you an accurate reading on a shiny surface so stick a bit of black tape on it or something.

also heat radiation/hot air flow coming up between you and the thing your measuring will effect the reading so be mindful of taking readings above exhaust mannys etc. 

• Like 1

I bought a cheap on one Bangood some years back and wouldn't be without it.

It's surprisingly accurate for the price and most of the time you're looking at comparative temperatures like top/bottom radiator hoses or exhaust headers.

It's saved a a fortune on  brake indicator (thermochromic ) paint on the race car and most importantly is very handy when brewing beer! 

• Like 3

I've had a Raytec for about 20 years, it was a cheaper version, and you can get ones just as good for a good price these days. Even for just diagnosing a misfire - point at exhaust ports...that's the one !  A very important part of my tool kit, but the 9 volt battery is a pain, expensive things...I have one battery and move it around my devises. A USB one would be nice in the modern world.

• Like 1

I bought one from the tool shed for around $30 on special. I've never actually used it in anger yet. 

At work I have a Fluke (or flume? Idk) which I use for measuring ground temperatures when doing ice inspections. I dunno what that one cost, but I was told "it wasn't cheap" by the guy who did buy it.

They both seem to work the same. (Never done a comparison side by side)

• Like 1