Welder buying spam

kws

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SOHC said:

I have an auto darkening helmet but it has a battery, what is the battery for? It must be long dead.

It makes the dark work - usually recharged via a solar panel.

I've had to hack in a couple of C-cells on an old helmet.

/Beaten

Just now, Jusepy82 said:

Question guys ..

How accurate is the setting on the door of weldings. I know this is a "guide". Tonight I turned down the wire speed and hey presto my welding was way better !

Ballpark to get you close to start.

• Thanks 1

On 22/08/2023 at 08:48, Nominal said:

It makes the dark work - usually recharged via a solar panel.

I've had to hack in a couple of C-cells on an old helmet.

/Beaten

That makes sense. I have a 10 year old  Ultrashade helmet that I'm fond of, (i.e. I'm used to it). If I don't use it for a month or so it a little slow first time I strike an arc. 

10 hours ago, Bling said:

You what now?

Sorry,but I thought that the settings on the welder door were what u were ment to weld at for some reason and had been stubbornly and stupidly been trying to nut it out.

I'll keep tinkering away and see what happens

• Like 1

I don't recall what welder you have / what it says on the door. Mine has zero settings on the welder itself that's why I was confused. Tend to move the settings up and down together as they work together to get the job done. Again depends on unit you have. But if i'm upping voltage on my machine I increase the wire speed too. If the voltage is too low for the wire speed you'll find the wire won't melt quick enough. Same with if you have the voltage too high, the wire will burn back to the torch as it's not feeding enough. At least that's my experience.

1 hour ago, Jusepy82 said:

It's a cigweld 185 .

I can take a pic of the settings and see what u think of them if you have the time.

There is no need for that :-)

You need to be comfortable moving the knobs around, It is perfectly normal. You should have a vague idea what kinda power to set it to (Guess), then its just a matter of fiddling with wire speed until you get it going nicely on a piece of scrap. if it gets worse- turn the knob the other direction.

The single only thing that is going to make you a better welder and more comfortable is experimentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah the door settings are nothing more than a ballpark for you to set the machine to and then alter the settings to suit yourself. Dont take them as gospel, sometimes they will be perfect, but often not.

When i find a really good setting for what I'm doing, i print it on a Dymo label and stick it to the top of my machine. I only have, and need, a couple of settings since all I'm doing is panel work (but my memory is shocking)

IMO, you are doing yourself a disservice by trying to learn all these different thicknesses and settings all at once. Just practice on what you're actually going to be using, and get the settings really well dialled in for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1