Thousand Dollar Supercar

Thousand Dollar Supercar's 1988 Jaguar XJ-S 3.6

19 minutes ago, fishtailfred said:

... constantly speeding and passing everyone on the left. I, of all people, struggled to keep up.

Yyyeah, I thought everyone else was going slowly but it was just that the Prince of Darkness had infected my speedometer. I need to pull out the instrument cluster to see if the speedo can be calibrated, and to fix the illumination to make it visible at night. The reason you struggled to keep up is that you were in a diesel Mondeo. :P

26 minutes ago, fishtailfred said:

Looks old fashioned from back, but super sweet from any other angle.

....something under the floor (ECU, perhaps?).

Good on you for ignoring literally everyone and doing this! :-)

The back is one of its many super sweet angles IMO. Looks old fashioned cos it came out 43 years ago. =)

I will investigate what's behind that passenger footwell footrest this weekend, because I need to find space to stash an amp.

I actually didn't have to ignore anyone on oldschool in buying this car. Threeonthetree / Neal and BDA780 / Karl put up with me harrassing them about the decision for probably the past year or two. Not once did they try to convince me to consider a 2ZZ. :thumbright:

• Like 1

so good. 

dont these have hilarious early fibre optic spec dash lighting? might have a kink in your light hose. 

auckland speedometer services barry will sort your calibration issues.

I may be wrong but I'm sure hairy joe goat showed me something to that description on big purps

On 4/18/2018 at 23:14, Thousand Dollar Supercar said:

It would be. I thought all TWR cars were basically body kits and suspension, still fitted with automatics and with their engines essentially stock. Fortunately, some total XJS Barry has written this site that suggests a 6L manual car could have been a possibility: https://classicregister.com/id-guides/how-identify-1984-1988-jaguar-xjs-twr-enhanced

This one is owned by (and was built at TWR by) the crew chief of TWR's global ops of the time, who was in charge of the on-track operations of the XJS when they raced in the '80s.  I often catch up with him when I pop down to my folks' place, he's got some fascinating tales.

Here he is, on the right, when they came over and conquered Bathurst.

His XJR-S is a thing of beauty, and was the only one built to full-fat spec. Excluding some of the bonkers Lister creations, it's probably the ultimately spec'd XJS you will ever find.... certainly I reckon it's the most desirable factory XJS I've ever come across.

Blue.jpg

• Like 1