Roman

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2019 at 09:39, mjrstar said:

Some progress on the dash, it's not going to be an amazing show finish but damn it's light. 

I have stiffened up the under side with some bits of chopped strand. Once that's cured I'll continue on with mounting points (hopefully). 

At this stage I'll probably cover some of the top with black microsuede or something and satin clear the exposed carbon in an attempt to reduce glare. 

Open to suggestions for cutout for the demister. Plan is a 12v hairdryer plumbed to some sort of DIY ducting. 

IMG_20190824_121354_compress8.jpg

IMG_20190824_121412_compress17.jpg

This is awesome, do you have any more photos of the process?

• Like 1

Not really any photos of the step by step, I took all the stuff out I didn't want, then filled the holes with cardboard and tape, then a bit of jib stopping compound (because easy to apply and sand) then some old spray paint because cardboard and jib stopping compound is pretty porous. 

Then usual wax pva etc before banging down a couple of layers of carbon, all I had was 300mm wide cloth so joins /overlaps are a bit shit. The underside is reinforced with some ~50mm wide strips of heavy weight chopped strand glass to stiffen it up. Then cut the edges to size. 

Basically because I cbf doing it properly with a mould first the finish is nowhere as good as it could have been but I was concerned with lift away at the edges with no vacuum equipment. Hey whatever it should do the trick. 

Photos of the prepped dash with some paint, wax and pva to assist with release. 

IMG_20190817_143628_resize_93.jpg

IMG_20190817_143607_resize_19.jpg

• Like 7

On 19/08/2019 at 20:54, NickJ said:

Asked a mate to carve out some foam core for a project, he declined as he didn't want the dust through his shed.

He did however have a spare machine knocking about that I was welcome to make a mess in my own shed with!

Gotta get me one of these toys, so simple and easy!

Cores will be used for a carbon fibre rifle stock, hopefully pics to come.....

IMG_7751.jpg

Hi mate.

What is the cut area size? I have a project im happy to pay you (both of you) to complete for me.  All the drawings and modelling are done, just need someone with a cnc router 

1 hour ago, mjrstar said:

Not really any photos of the step by step, I took all the stuff out I didn't want, then filled the holes with cardboard and tape, then a bit of jib stopping compound (because easy to apply and sand) then some old spray paint because cardboard and jib stopping compound is pretty porous. 

Then usual wax pva etc before banging down a couple of layers of carbon, all I had was 300mm wide cloth so joins /overlaps are a bit shit. The underside is reinforced with some ~50mm wide strips of heavy weight chopped strand glass to stiffen it up. Then cut the edges to size. 

Basically because I cbf doing it properly with a mould first the finish is nowhere as good as it could have been but I was concerned with lift away at the edges with no vacuum equipment. Hey whatever it should do the trick. 

Photos of the prepped dash. 

IMG_20190817_143628_resize_93.jpg

IMG_20190817_143607_resize_19.jpg

Is that the plug?

7 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

Hi mate.

What is the cut area size? I have a project im happy to pay you (both of you) to complete for me.  All the drawings and modelling are done, just need someone with a cnc router 

That machine is 600x600, depending on the requirements I often index longer parts and run them in sections.

Mate's main machine is 1300x2500

What are you trying to make?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I've been binging far too much DIY composite stuff during this lockdown, so figured it would be a good idea to re-read this whole thread. 

Man, there's some good stuff in here! @mjrstar - your dash looks amazing and I'm really impressed with the result since it's straight off the buck. 

I've been watching a few of this guys videos. He does quite a bit of infusion and vacuum bagging, as well as some hardcore aero mods on his own racecar and some wind tunnel work for clients. 

Pretty keen to build a foam cored carbon splitter panel eventually! 

I've got some front bumper mods that need to happen on the racecar. Will come back here and contribute my failures when it starts to happen :) .  

• Like 3

Dumb question.

What is the benefit of Carbon vs Fibreglass in regards to dashes, body panels and even trumpets?

I know Carbon is Lighter and More Rigid but conversely much more expensive. 

Basically I'll ask it like this, I know for a Carbon Bonnet you can effectively make a single layer outter and single layer supprt from Carbon and it be suitably rigid. Is Fibreglass not suffeciently rigid for this build design?

Or is just the fact that you won't have a dope ass carbon weave bonnet? 

Not having to paint it, is definitely a positive. But I was thinking for making a dashboard I would prefer a satin black finish. Is Fibreglass adequate? 

Aiexpress carbon does help the cost but if I'm fucking it up, I imagine the costs start to build up. 

Also in the case of a Bonnet sourcing carbon fabric wide enough to make a single lay without a joint seems to be an expensive issue.

I believe the main benefit is weight.l and flexibility. Cf can be extremely good at absorbing impacts, distorting and returning back to its original shape. I haven't seen a glass hood stood on by anyone, but iv seen a Cf hood stood on by a 120kg bloke and it returned to normal even tho I was convinced it was fuxked.

I think is is why cf is used as crossbow limbs etc rather than glass, but open to education.

1st off. Why the fuck was someone standing on a Carbon Fibre Bonnet? 

2ndly. Did he lose any teeth or was he the owner?

3rdly - 120kg dude, that's really impressive.

So in terms of Bonnets, Gaurds, any external panels on a racecar, Carbon Fibre would make sense. But what about a dashboard? 

Like would you require an extra layer of cloth in Fibreglass vs Carbon Fibre?

• Like 1