Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

Well I don't think this dudes earlier 1800 has the same troubles. It just keeps bouncing back! :lol: ( I reckon a 1500 would have had its cam belt housing/pulleys smashed)

This fella Matt has some cool vids inc a nice offroad trip in Idaho back country on this bike.

• Like 1

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exhaust box....An empty tube - say 4inOD 1.6mm wall. Across the back of the car. Your two sides discharging into it straight in 90deg to CL.  Discharge pipes from each end. 1 1/2in OD. Length inside box to be perf tube same 1 1/2in OD. Close/blank off  the inner ends of this and make them overlap with a figure 8 support in the center of the box.  90 deg bends outside the main tube for the discharge pipes to point them out the back.

This will work - and not be too noisy.

• Like 4

On 17/03/2024 at 21:09, yoeddynz said:

20240317_200710_(Custom).jpg

Peak Engineering textbook and probably one of the best books ever written

Shrink fit the axles is a brilliant idea, love it!

• Like 5

Sprint car and midget full width axles simply have a shrunk on flange for the final drive. It'd be easy enough to scotch key your setup if you wanted belt and braces.

I tried removing separating the test sample at local engineers yesterday. Got to 12 ton pressure and it wasn't moving and the shaft we were using to push with started bending. We called it quits before it spat out (had put a shroud around the lot but still...) 

I'm going back with a beefier press tool. I want to see and hear the bang :grin:

No way it's gonna shift in my setup that's for sure. 

• Like 3

Can you draw a diagram showing how the K11 surge tank pump box thing works?
I need to make a custom tank for my Triumph, to fit between the strut towers it has now. I'll need to figure out some kind of arrangement to prevent surge. I was thinking of putting in curved partitions so the fuel gets trapped in the 'dam' rather than going all the way to the end of the tank. I don't really have the space to make a well in the bottom. 
image.png.4957bacb9a7981d4c33ac526ff42a8d9.png

It's really just a plastic container that fills up with fuel because not perfectly sealed around the lid. The return line goes into the bottom of the container. The pump is mounted at an angle so it's filter sock sits at the very bottom of container.  Very basic and very neat. 

Use one of these, or a similar item (I figure a k11 pump won't be up to the task of feeding a V8 at full chat) , along with the internal baffles you suggest above and you'd be fine I think. 

• Like 1

Shrink fits are legit.

About 4 or 5 years ago I had to design an extrusion container for making magnesium rods, the container needed to be made of multiple shells of high strength (H13) steel that are shrink fitted together to get enough strength.

The shrink fit was used to put something like 600 MPa of compressive stress on the inner liner, giving almost 2000 MPa of pressing capacity. I think it was something like a 0.15mm interference on about a 53 mm diameter sleeve, required temperature difference was about 250 or 300C to get it to all fit together. Was quite stressful as the liner was about 150mm long and had a nitrided surface so any lathe tooling would just bounce right off if it grabbed and needed to be redone.

image.png.df4f55c462574cddec53814fbaa5cedf.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was reading somewhere that some large camshafts are constructed with the lobes shrunk fit in place. I'll try find it. Figure it cuts down on material and machining costs a lot when dealing with big items.

• Like 1

I remember pulling apart the motor that was in the ride on mower I bought off @Nominal a number of years ago and thought the plastic components were surprising and you can’t help but think that can’t be good, but in saying that the reason that motor had given itself an upper cut was due to a metal (cheese) part giving way. I think if any of the plastic gave up it wouldn’t run but unlikely it would have ventilated the case either.

Was the little pivot arm 757 in this diagram that let go.

image.thumb.png.f9aecfb202d098948d755f6e934d3f88.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tortron said:

The black ones look better

image.png.b43ffdd58a856c14cc134e8df2c026eb.png

I think the key is low rpm, and Bic pen valve springs

My steam converted briggs still had the plastic gear and I beefed up the valve seat pressure to over 100 PSI, surprising what those parts can handle

• Like 1

Quite a lot of modern Euro stuff has camshafts lobes that are either shrunk fit or have a hollow shaft hydro-formed under them. The lobes occasionally move - bad things happen. Destruction. General mayhem. Shrapnel….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VitesseEFI said:

Quite a lot of modern Euro stuff has camshafts lobes that are either shrunk fit or have a hollow shaft hydro-formed under them. The lobes occasionally move - bad things happen. Destruction. General mayhem. Shrapnel….

Some time back, talking to my local camshaft regrinder - who has a contract with Cosworth USA for "import" cams - I was told that 90% of the cast iron blanks come from Turkey. I'm wondering if the fairly recent quakes there have affected the supply to the point where manufacturers are now using alternatives to CI.

15 hours ago, GregT said:

I was told that 90% of the cast iron blanks come from Turkey

Dunno about quakes. I do know that QC can be an issue. Previous company went through a fairly short phase of source CI pump casing parts from a Turkish foundry. Sizeable voids stuffed with car body filler and painted over don’t hold pressure very long!