OS trackdays?

not to sink it before it starts but there's track days on most places at least once a month you can jump in on without the overheads & stress of paying $4k + for a days hire plus some wont let Personal hireage anymore needs to be through a Car - club or what not

I've done a couple myself at Manfield (for ClubSUB) in years gone by but it's easier these days to go though Playday for example

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoKer said:

not to sink it before it starts but there's track days on most places at least once a month you can jump in on without the overheads & stress of paying $4k + for a days hire plus some wont let Personal hireage anymore needs to be through a Car - club or what not

I've done a couple myself at Manfield (for ClubSUB) in years gone by but it's easier these days to go though Playday for example

I agree what your saying Joker, If I wanted to take my car to track for a spin, would definitely attend a open track day etc 

The reason why I ask is because at any playdays you could be on the track with a 700hp r34 gtr or a nissan march which can cause a bit of conflicting interest to those who attend even though this is well controlled by the organizers. 

it would just be nice to setup a closed OS trackday in Taupo/manfield which might work for OSer's throughout the north is region to get together and not worry about pissing anyone off. you can also stretch the rules and reg a bit to match it to this club environment etc. 

I think the media would be keen to see this since its not the usual toyota or sub club.

• Like 2

We ran many track days back around 2007-2012+ ish and would usually only just cover the costs, usually have to desperately try drum up entries over the last few weeks to break even. I think it would be even harder these days? just seems like less active members with cars they want to thrash on the track now (our community is older/busier?). I think most tracks cost more now due to safety stuff, not entirely sure on specifics as its been awhile.

I can't talk for admin but I don't think you would find anyone who is willing to take that risk on anymore ($4-6k initial outlay, then herding cats to get entries and money back). Drag day seems like the way for OS racing events, cheap, easier on the cars and gets the numbers pretty easy. Anyway talk to admin.

• Like 3

You could join a motorsport affiliated car club too. The annual fees are usually bugger all. Like $20 or $60 or something. Then you get invites to their track days, and all the clubs often invite each other to their track days too. So join club X and you could also enter events arranged by club Y/Z/etc...

Often, depending on the event, you run in classes by engine size, forced induction, FWD, RWD, AWD. So you typically end up running with cars 'similar' to yours in performance.

• Like 1

I find it heaps fun taking My avenger out with Sakers & GTR's :P

also I pop all the track days I see on Facebook on the CS Events page here : https://www.facebook.com/ClubSubNZ/events/?ref=page_internal (I dont add drift or skid days for obvious AWD reasons)

Oldschool Nat's is usually the best way to get a bunch of us together & even the recent Subaru Days I have recently attended both hopped on the back of Playdays & booked out a couple of groups (one managed to fill 3 /4 groups which only left the prestige guys)

clubfest @hamptons is coming up tho not sure if OS has registered as entries are closed now

• Like 1

are you wanting to get on the track or suggesting OS should hold a trackday @Minister88? I don't think I / we understand your question or statement in the OP

because yea I cant speak or represent Admin here either but don't hold your breath for reasons mentioned by @Spencer these days it ends up costing money & with the available options its not worth the stress or hassle

most open trackdays do generally have GC's as the "boyracers" tend to stay away

shoot even Manfield is having a FREE test day coming up as long as you can take Marshalls & helpers for rides (on a Friday btw)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JoKer said:

are you wanting to get on the track or suggesting OS should hold a trackday @Minister88? I don't think I / we understand your question or statement in the OP

because yea I cant speak or represent Admin here either but don't hold your breath for reasons mentioned by @Spencer these days it ends up costing money & with the available options its not worth the stress or hassle

most open trackdays do generally have GC's as the "boyracers" tend to stay away

shoot even Manfield is having a FREE test day coming up as long as you can take Marshalls & helpers for rides (on a Friday btw)

Thanks Joker, 

Just wanted to to if OS holds their own track days and if not, are there any like minded people.

If its been done, hasn't worked well and there are other alternatives, that probably answers my question haha. 

the free test day sounds awesome! Will look into the manfield website to check that out haha.

• Like 1

yea as mentioned the "boyracers" tend to stay away from them & appears to work like the GC filter we have here on OS

in saying that you'd be hard pressed to find any track / motorsport event in NZ that a OS'er isnt involved with either :P

acc & worksafe pretty much put the kaibosh on "private" Trackdays tho I do recall a great one for a Members 21st we had at Taupo 4 or 5 years ago? (might be longer)

Yeah back in the day it seemed like there were very few events to attend and needed to find a group and organise them.

Now with Playday on track and similar, it's just too easy and no organisational hassles for anyone.

Best thing to do is just try talk a bunch of mates into all piggybacking onto someone elses event.

Dont be worried about the fast cars on track, I have lots of cars pass me and also pass lots of cars. I would rather be the slowest car in a stint full of good drivers than the fastest car in a group of people who are not experienced on the track. (Have seen some erratic swerving, not letting people past, or other stupid behaviour)  

I'm moving back up to the North Island in the next few weeks so I'll be keen to get to some more events again. In the meantime I will give Adam (other admin on trackday page) a rev up about keeping it up to date haha.

• Like 2

Just a note on the free test day at Manfeild - it's not an open invite for all and sundry to come and play on the track for free. It's free for entrants and club members with the idea being that we can take our volunteers for rides as thanks for all the hard work they do. 

If you want to get on track I suggest attending one of the Envirowaste clubsport events: http://manawatucarclub.org.nz/find-enter-events/club-sport-series/

I'm open to the idea of running another OS trackday with the proviso being that we only use track 3 at Taupo because it's cheap. 

• Like 5

I was just thinking about starting a thread last night for some sort of OS track day event. We can either tack ourselves on to a Playday type event (saves the hassle of trying to organise everything and stressing about numbers), or maybe do another Taupo Track 3 hire, like Markku suggested.

• Like 1

What sort of time frame are you guys thinking? Say, 2 months away, to give us time to organise the track day and get are cars ready? That's right in the middle of winter, so we run the risk of getting rained out or freezing to death, summer's too far away to wait, I reckon.

• Like 2