Fuel tank cleaner/treatment

chris r

Has anyone got any recommendations for a fuel tank cleaner and sealer? The tank I tried to clean out with vinegar etc still has some crap and surface rust inside it, The old fuel varnish and sediment have gone but the the rust flakes that are coming loose now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is relevant to my interests also.

Is it possible to remove your tank and invert it for easier cleaning? I can't remove the tank on my sixty year old tractor without removal of the cab and the steering wheel as the column goes through the tank and a cab cross-member goes over the tank.

For my motorcycle tank, I let it sit for a week with vinegar & a chain which got the bulk of the flaky rust out. 

I then used the POR15 tank cleaner/sealer kit. Came with a cleaner, a prep solution and the sealant itself. Was about $80 I think. It's quite a pain in the as to do to be honest. Lots of rotating the tank by hand to ensure every surface was coated.

But, the tank is mint now!

It's a car tank, I used vinegar first time around but didn't leave the vinegar to soak though. The problem is the top half is rusty so sealing the pump/gauge sender is a ball ache. 

Nuts/bolts/rick's is a good idea but at the moment I can't really shake a tank around for ages 

7 minutes ago, chris r said:

It's a car tank, I used vinegar first time around but didn't leave the vinegar to soak though. The problem is the top half is rusty so sealing the pump/gauge sender is a ball ache. 

Nuts/bolts/rick's is a good idea but at the moment I can't really shake a tank around for ages 

get a big old sander ant attach the tank to it overnight

or rig up a spit and let it spit roast for  a few hours

pretty sure I have access to a cement mixer

• Like 3

I bet you could use electrolysis! Fill it will water and tip it around so that there's no air and water fills it entirely, chuck in some washing soda, make the tank your cathode (negative) and suspend a steel anode (positive) carefully down the filler (it can't touch the tank)

Double check the anode cathode thing so you don't make problems worse...But this should strip it to bare steel while you do NOTHING

OH and use a laptop PSU or battery charger for juice.

It's silent, easy, cheap and most importantly.. requires SFA actual manual labour

• Like 2

Nothing worse than trying to rattle out bullshittery for ages afterward when you could just catch one link and pull the whole shebang out in one go.  Problemo solverino.  You can also secure part of the chain to the opening if required and if you have enough length to still perform the task you require.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I bet you could use electrolysis! Fill it will water and tip it around so that there's no air and water fills it entirely, chuck in some washing soda, make the tank your cathode (negative) and suspend a steel anode (positive) carefully down the filler (it can't touch the tank)

Double check the anode cathode thing so you don't make problems worse...But this should strip it to bare steel while you do NOTHING

OH and use a laptop PSU or battery charger for juice.

It's silent, easy, cheap and most importantly.. requires SFA actual manual labour

I like this idea because I'm lazy. Will do some research tomorrow and see what I can find 

• Like 2