The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see my sig I average 15L:100 km (edit lol that has the Avenger fuelly account attached sorry to sound smarmy & it backfired)

still learning / practicing as i dont usually do long trips / more under 2km trips generally

Why have I only just discovered this thread?

Work car, for which I pay no petrol costs averages 6.4l/100km.  Mostly because of stupid traffic jams.  Can't get it any lower.  But then it is a 2.0 and I'm not that nice on the throttle.  Has been on 6.4 for the last 5-6 months.

My own car, which I have to pay the fuel bill is up in the 11s-12s/100km but I have seen the instantaneous consumption up around 90L/100km  :shock:

The rest of the fleet is better measured in litres/year.  I probably lose more in evaporation than consumption on those.

this thread is so racist, what about the jews?

anyway, inspired by this thread, i did some experimentation.

BF falcon with 285km on it. my usual figures according to the trip meter are 13l/100km if i dont touch it for a while, my average speed is 33kph.

i did a run down the motorway from new lynn to papakura, 80-90kph driving with feather boots and putting it in neutral when coasting or going downhill. hit the reset button getting on and off the motorway, 7.3l/100km

drove from papakura to pukekohe, normal motorway driving not paying any attention to economy, 105-110kph, 8.6l/100km

drove from pukekohe- highbrook. tried pulse-glide thing, going between 95-110, got annoyed at that and followed a truck as close as safe, neutral down hill or when slowing, 90-95 behind the truck. that got down to 6.3l/100km.

• Like 7

My ute ( Ve v8) Averages 11.5 per hundy most times, when i had 10 psi in the tyres (shows how much i use it) it jumped up to 12-13. then i filled them up and on the open road it will get low 9's. the second you hit a town though it shoots right up.
so the Ls's are pretty economical ..at 100-110 in 6th which is 1500-1800rpm.
In the NT where the open road is 130kmh the fuel went right up to 13.

Round town is about 15-18

Commie ute diff gearing must be stump puller spec there Hemi. My doctor mate's '02 Monaro pulled 1100 rpm at 100 km/hr in sixth gear. 

Aight bro, next time i go for a drive ill make a point of bringing in roman as a consultant so we can have a outside 3rd party to both argue and graph the 300 rpm discrepancy

• Like 1

but anyway... you have now got me thinking more about those LS converted FD's. they have lower axle ratio but with the slippary FD shape one could have a when needed neatly economical cruiser and wickedly powerful rx7 that also sounds good!

oh...and reliable...

• Like 4

^ Not sure if pisstaking or not.

I'm actually rather amazed at that thing. So cheap to run. seems to be loosening up now that it's getting higher in km.

an old fulla took it to masterton and back today. trip computer thing says 7.8l/100 now.

I actually thought I had Pete on my fuelly friends list bu the most recent top up was yours and I found it quite entertaining to throw up the comparison of the Colorado v. exotic, mostly because it makes no sense. I will admit that I did think that was a pretty legit figure for a utility. I did enjoy my bosses old Colorado (and his newer ones) more than the Ranger & BT-50's that work gets.

• Like 1

I actually thought I had Pete on my fuelly friends list bu the most recent top up was yours and I found it quite entertaining to throw up the comparison of the Colorado v. exotic, mostly because it makes no sense. I will admit that I did think that was a pretty legit figure for a utility. I did enjoy my bosses old Colorado (and his newer ones) more than the Ranger & BT-50's that work gets.

TBH I probably drive it like a nana compared to what 99.9999999% of people. 

It doesn't seem to hur4t economy when my offsider drives it though and during the week he does more km in it than me so maybe he drives it like that too. 

I still get along at a fair chop. Just seems like you just pour gas down it if you give it mega beans rather than get anywhere really any quicker. I'm often commuting on closed roads at 120kph etc

I've noticed there is a trend that says otherwise nowadays but my butt-dyno definitely feels better at the 120-130kph range than the "more economical" 80-90kph range. I guess there's many factors as Roman says RE: wind resistence/drag co-efficient and gearing.

Anyway.

I'm still stuck in my old man "my car sits better at 120" mode.

• Like 1