The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a tip.

When I get a supermarket fuel voucher for ten cents or better, I'll gas up the family 'goon, and also fill extra cans for my dailys fuel for the week too.

#jewlyfe.

A couple of years back there was either some massive price drop for a few days or a really good/special coupon offering heaps off. I drove down in the hiace with four 20 litre empty oil containers. Filled them and the van. some fellas nicked my fuel cap while I was filling them.

= overall a loss to my wallet that day.

Sort of ling.

Who owns the dribble of fuel that comes out of the nozzle when you poke it in the car before squeezing the trigger? Sometimes it seems like a lot. Where does it come from? Or is it water and aids and should I purge it onto the floor before inserting the nozzle?

One could go the days commuting/ cruising about on a moped and probably run on those dribbles. You pay nothing if you don't squeeze the trigger right? Or offer to people to catch their dribbles as they pull out.................................

I filled up today and as usual, the guy tried to convince me to buy two chocolate bars for $6 and save 10 cents a litre. I did my default "no" reaction until he informed me that I would save $6.22 on the fuel for an investment of only $6.00.

So I essentially ended up with a couple of free diabetes sticks and saved $0.22. Win.

If only it was something useful like two beers for $6.

• Like 5

I filled up today and as usual, the guy tried to convince me to buy two chocolate bars for $6 and save 10 cents a litre. I did my default "no" reaction until he informed me that I would save $6.22 on the fuel for an investment of only $6.00.

So I essentially ended up with a couple of free diabetes sticks and saved $0.22. Win.

If only it was something useful like two beers for $6.

You have to watch out for some of these deals, I got caught thinking that the 80 odd litres my truck takes would put me a couple of dollars up and free chocolate for the kids, didn't notice the 50 litres maximum for the discount until afterwards. Bastards.

false economy generally, you cant save money by spending it, there are tricks such as only filling the min amount to accumulate then only fill the 50 L like you mention to get max out of it

i fill till it clicks 'full' then repeat, also makes fuel tracking simpler

• 2 months later...

something i learned / hadn't experienced yet is cooling system malfunction & the simple effect it had on fuel usage

14364776_10154436544012456_3378367547852

Running too cold / facebook mechanics told me Thermostat was stuck open

the culprit, and its replacement packaging

14333758_10154441749747456_4423769148079

and the result

14322775_10154441749172456_2048783090616

if I hadn't just towed a trailer to Napier & back I had immediately noticed a VAST improvement in fuel usage on the one trip up we did sans trailer : got down to as low a 8L/100km at highway speeds (not average per tank just purely at 100kph) keen to see how she goes over the next tank or two

tl:dr

too cold is bad like a turbo you need heat sometimes

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Thread dredge.

This thread is even more relevant with todays soaring fuel prices.  But rather than fill the climate change thread with econobox chat I thought I'd float @Roman thread back up to the surface.

I have a question....

I have been waking up in cold sweats ever since selling Milly the micra to @Willdat? because I fear that he has got the more economical car from our horde:lol:

The reason I think our Minky might be a tad thirstier is because of the LSD (no - not the drugs)

I'm wondering if the fact the outside wheel has to travel further on every bend but its creating friction within the LSD unit - energy lost into that lovely viscous gloop?

Or is it just because I'm having too much fun driving it with passion.

Also- Milly had 155 tyres when we sold her. Minky is shod with 175 (possibly soon to be 195...) - interested to see how much difference width can make?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Thread dredge.

This thread is even more relevant with todays soaring fuel prices.  But rather than fill the climate change thread with econobox chat I thought I'd float @Roman thread back up to the surface.

I have a question....

I have been waking up in cold sweats ever since selling Milly the micra to @Willdat? because I fear that he has got the more economical car from our horde:lol:

The reason I think our Minky might be a tad thirstier is because of the LSD (no - not the drugs)

I'm wondering if the fact the outside wheel has to travel further on every bend but its creating friction within the LSD unit - energy lost into that lovely viscous gloop?

Or is it just because I'm having too much fun driving it with passion.

Also- Milly had 155 tyres when we sold her. Minky is shod with 175 (possibly soon to be 195...) - interested to see how much difference width can make?

The 155 tyres are sitting outside ready to be trialled if you want to! 

• Like 1

I doubt LSD makes much difference for a few reasons: 

-Viscous LSDs are basically the slushiest option and when the difference in wheel speed is low, the goo has the least friction in it (Gets more thicker as it gets hotter doesnt it?)

-At any decent speed your cornering angle is very shallow, so the inside/outside wheel speed difference isnt that much.

If you're driving slow and turning tight corners then you're losing your economy from having to slow and get back up to speed. 

Basically - time for ECU for economy improvements

Or at the very least, drawing some graphs about it 

• Like 4

I've found my plate type LSD sucks a fair bit of speed off of the car if I am costing around fast corners.

But in saying that, the LSD just makes your right foot way heavier and that's the main thing that determines fuel consumption in a car.

• Like 5