Blutooth Pre-amp?

Scrubb

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to have some sort of music in my car other than AM radio, but I don't want to cut things up. I wonder if there is some sort of device like a blutooth pre amp (If that's the correct word?) where I can have a blutooth receiver which I can wire directly in to the existing radio's amp which would enable me to use the power and volume buttons on existing radio. I suppose I could also wire the blutooth pairing button to another button on the radio and can keep the original radio installed.

Does such a device exist and is it possible?

Thanks in advance!

This is what I am doing, keep original radio in place and use an amp with an aux input hidden under the seat. just throw the aux cable under the seat when not in use and pull out and connect to phone/mp3 player when you want some sweet tunes. You could probably keep the original radio wired up to the speakers also if you still wanted to use it for some reason.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/amplifiers/other/auction-1078183102.htm

I have dicked around with this a bit, there is no really mint solution. I ended up just buying the cheapest sony mechless bluetooth headset, it just works. It is half depth so I guess you could fit it behind the original and hook up the volume knob and play/pause button - those are the only two i use.

This was the best thing I could find after a lot of searching http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2600792

But I would have had to find an amp etc so it was still cheaper to go the headset route.

This is what I am doing, keep original radio in place and use an amp with an aux input hidden under the seat. just throw the aux cable under the seat when not in use and pull out and connect to phone/mp3 player when you want some sweet tunes. You could probably keep the original radio wired up to the speakers also if you still wanted to use it for some reason.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-stereos/amplifiers/other/auction-1078183102.htm

Exactly what i had in my first car it worked great

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think theres  a car stereo thread somehwere else on the forum, but il post in here anyway.

About 8 years ago i picked up a tiny amp and was going to run a mp3 player through it and some parcel tray speakers

I set it up in my car then for some reason removed it and ever put it back in.

So saw the set up today and thought, things have changed since 2008, bluetooth may be the way to go. I briefly thought a bluetooth headunit/amp may be what i want. but then realised, really i just want to hide the thing entirely, and because i cant hear myself think while the car is running i will probably only use it when parked.

and then i thought, why not velcro a blue tooth speaker under the dash, seats, or hidden on the rear parcel tray.

I imagine you can run a 12v feed to them, or if its velcro i could just charge it before i go out.

is this a terrible idea? what is the sound like, my only experience with them is the gangs of adolecents riding bmx's around auckland

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info!

I actually ended up buying one of these and wired it directly into the existing AM radio amp and power. I was able to do this buy looking up the schematics for the integrated circuits to find out which was one was the amp and which pins took the signal input and soldered directly on there, so I can reverse it if I need to.

It doesn't work entirely as I intended as I think the output from the bluetooth receiver is too high level and as soon as I turn the volume knob on the radio, it is blaringly loud with extreme distortion, so if I have the volume all the way down the speaker is sensitive enough to hear it :)

For the next iteration, I'll probably gut the internals and wire in a small amp from aliexpress keeping the original power switch and volume knob.

This is probably similar to what I'd end up doing, except I'll find one with analogue volume knob, so I can wire in the existing knob/switch instead :)

Is the reason because you have a "shaft" installed radio?

Pyle make a shaft installed radio, you can find them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Car-Audio-Pyle-In-Dash-AM-FM-MP3-Dual-Knob-Car-Radio-Stereo-Head-Unit-/182112468778

I have one at home, still sitting in it's box I think.

By "shaft" installed, does that mean I can take the knobs off and it will slide into place where the old one was? It's a bit hard to see, but the factory one is here:

nlRlpmW.jpg

This is probably similar to what I'd end up doing, except I'll find one with analogue volume knob, so I can wire in the existing knob/switch instead :)

If you search TDA7492P I'm pretty sure there are volume control versions.

I've got another Bluetooth receiver that has a line in and out. It would be good if you have a head unit and separate amp, you could wire it between the two. When you're not using it, it will just play the head unit but when you connect Bluetooth it overrides it.

I think it has connections for a mic so you could use it for Hands free but I just have mine installed in a valve radio in the bedroom.

I think theres a car stereo thread somehwere else on the forum, but il post in here anyway.

About 8 years ago i picked up a tiny amp and was going to run a mp3 player through it and some parcel tray speakers

I set it up in my car then for some reason removed it and ever put it back in.

So saw the set up today and thought, things have changed since 2008, bluetooth may be the way to go. I briefly thought a bluetooth headunit/amp may be what i want. but then realised, really i just want to hide the thing entirely, and because i cant hear myself think while the car is running i will probably only use it when parked.

and then i thought, why not velcro a blue tooth speaker under the dash, seats, or hidden on the rear parcel tray.

I imagine you can run a 12v feed to them, or if its velcro i could just charge it before i go out.

is this a terrible idea? what is the sound like, my only experience with them is the gangs of adolecents riding bmx's around auckland

I had this same idea after using those Bluetooth speakers at work. Bloody great things and they put out amazing sound/volume for the size and price.

I'll toss one into the hq and have a USB cable plugged in to charge it. Super easy!

My brother in law got given one of these which he used when we went camping. It was loud enough to annoy the fuck out of me because of the shit girly music he plays. More than enough volume to drown out a half decent V8. Should be perfect for the EJ when its finished.

• Like 2

Mobile sound docks are the future. I have Bose ones but Spence had a UE boom and mega boom. Both are pretty much what you want in a sound dock, good sounds, got battery, mobile and rugged , can be charged via ciggy lighter etc

• Like 1