UJ builds a cabin in them thar hills

Unclejake

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to meet min r value for floor insulation as per building code or is this small enough to be exempt? If you can get some rigid polyester panels to stick in between your floor joists i would recommend it

Is polyester the stuff they use for caravan walls? its sandwhiched between two sheets of... some other more rigid plastic. stuff looks extremely good and robust.

Do you have to meet min r value for floor insulation as per building code or is this small enough to be exempt? 

It's exempt. It's only 10sqm! 

With the potbelly going the real issue will be keeping it cool enough. The floor is down already

• Like 1

Hello darlings,

I got the floor down, but it was under torch light so no photo of the finished product sorry

Here's about half way done. It needs a good scrub! Now to dig. Lots and lots of dig

1a3cbx2j.bra.jpg

Unclejake, The underlay, what is the reason for the droop, breathing or similar ?? I am about to put some down in the Kids Gas Station/Playhouse and would have layed it out flat had I not seen this post, so Thanks as well.

Unclejake, The underlay, what is the reason for the droop, breathing or similar ?? I am about to put some down in the Kids Gas Station/Playhouse and would have layed it out flat had I not seen this post, so Thanks as well.

It's mainly so moisture doesn't get close to the underside of the floor, and also to allow me to fit the clamps (the orange things) to the joists so I could tighten up the T&G

My reflective foil isn't perforated so I've cut a slice in every droop to allow water to escape.

The foil should reduce rising moisture and will also reflect a tiny bit of temperature and reduce updrafts when the T&G opens up, but it doesn't have significant thermal properties. It was cheap as all hell so I fitted it anyway.

Most will be less than 1 amp so I am hoping that's going to be ok. Thoughts?

We've used heaps of old bake light switches over the years in builds. Usually 20 watt bulbs so 1.6 amps. Yeah you'll be fine :-)

Those switches are lush btw !!!

40mm polystyrene is so cheap ($20 per 6x4 sheet) and easy to use that you could easily slide some in. Worse thing about using it is all the little poly balls blowing about making a mess when it's cut and you ain't got no Mr Henry there from what I can see.

We even put some poly under the floor below the toilet block to keep the compost bins and worms inside happy. Works well.. floor does stay warm.