Random slightly cool stuff you built but not worth its own thread, thread

h4nd

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Making some thank you gifts for friends that looked after us on our recent trip overseas, reliefs of the mountains they call home.

Carved out with the cnc to replicate contour lines on a map then run over with the gas torch to highlight the ridges.

IMG_5651.jpeg.deb99c3e223c9f9a52fb41ae2d43b8f0.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg.eb71c2fae78c8a773439efeb77623ae5.jpeg

Is there a hack for generating the profiles?

18 hours ago, NickJ said:

Making some thank you gifts for friends that looked after us on our recent trip overseas, reliefs of the mountains they call home.

Carved out with the cnc to replicate contour lines on a map then run over with the gas torch to highlight the ridges.

IMG_5651.jpeg.deb99c3e223c9f9a52fb41ae2d43b8f0.jpeg

IMG_5650.jpeg.eb71c2fae78c8a773439efeb77623ae5.jpeg

Ooh that is cool....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, BlownCorona said:

I want to do that but with an Er11 chuck. Maybe the inside of a gel pen?? 

Ideally I wouldn't have it in a tool holder but couldn't find any easy locations on my Z to mount it, bit lol for how big the machine is! Having 19mm collets kinda made the decision for me as a quick and easy to get running. 

Cos ER11 is tiny, could you mount it with P clips on the side of the spindle?

What controller are you running? Hopefully a tool table in there so XYZ offsets are simple to implement?

Have dragknife blades on the way, plan to make a small holder that mounts in one of the 8mm subspindle chucks. If I get it right both the knife and pen will be just a tool change call away.

Wonder if I can find some 50mm or less markers on Ali.... 

im about 90% done with setting up a full linuxcnc controller on a dedicated box. but just a cheap breakout board instead of fancy mesa cards like yours, my cutting speed and small table is forgiving enough to run happy within its limitations it seems. i just need to physically install limit switches so homing works and setup auto z probe and then actually learn how to operate the thing properly. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

im about 90% done with setting up a full linuxcnc controller on a dedicated box. but just a cheap breakout board instead of fancy mesa cards like yours, my cutting speed and small table is forgiving enough to run happy within its limitations it seems. i just need to physically install limit switches so homing works and setup auto z probe and then actually learn how to operate the thing properly. 

How are you setting it up without the Mesa board? Keen to see another way of putting it together!

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

How are you setting it up without the Mesa board? Keen to see another way of putting it together!

just a cheap parallel port card and the stepper drivers that it came with. the para port card is nothing but patching the specific output wires from the DB24 port to the stepper drivers and the limit switches, z probe and e stop but through opto isolators for safety and with the addition of a couple of controllable relays. it relays on the computer itself to generate steps which so far seems to work fine. a large table such as yours may not be so gravy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

just a cheap parallel port card and the stepper drivers that it came with. the para port card is nothing but patching the specific output wires from the DB24 port to the stepper drivers and the limit switches, z probe and e stop but through opto isolators for safety and with the addition of a couple of controllable relays. it relays on the computer itself to generate steps which so far seems to work fine. a large table such as yours may not be so gravy 

Oh thats pretty simple! will get LCNC running really fast, all the little details in linux will make the machine really useable, excited for ya! I've just got my head around the PLC side of it, just mulling over how to re do the wiring then I can start looking at getting toolchange working, toolprobe etc etc. Wiring sucks cos once I move that its past the point of no return, up to now i've just been chipping away on another config file.

Yeah parallel breakout won't work with my machine cos closed loop servo drives, needs the Mesa board to do the realtime movement control, which kinda sucks cos I pulled a stack of breakout boards from the previous controller!

17 hours ago, HKM400 said:

Few more recent veneer projects, I sanded and re oiled the door and made a pattern for the edge, as it annoyed me being plain when the door is open. Bit of copper tape to tidy up the edges.

IMG_6056.thumb.jpeg.4fa0e4eef62129cd2ac055aaa2dc2571.jpeg

IMG_6065.thumb.jpeg.d3bbdaf47a6bea2b45ca43b15ff185e4.jpeg

Because the door hardware needed to be adapted to fit with the larch cladding, the latch area was a bit ugly so I made a cover for it out of plate, complete with creepy stamp text

IMG_6058.thumb.jpeg.afbfefcbad776e48503309434023fbce.jpeg

Made a floating shelf out of 2 pieces of 18mm mdf glued together, then a patterned front edge/top and bottom. The purple piece is Totara, really beautiful when oiled. 

IMG_6043.thumb.jpeg.72a9a1dd5128b52f05c5e906830ecb41.jpeg

Tried out making some 3D cube designs, I wanted it to sort of look like a serpent eye, the pupil is made of ebony. I think I fucked with it too much and then cut the board down into a weird geometric shape, I wasn’t really happy with it initially but it’s growing on me. Enjoying learning more techniques and trying to get my joins neater

IMG_6062.thumb.jpeg.5dd914821970ed707f1354c1c138db6b.jpeg

IMG_6059.thumb.jpeg.1185cdb91980bc82c67b9213a111cd5d.jpeg

IMG_6045.thumb.jpeg.44aff75a77dbac78f89bad3fed403e59.jpeg

Thats wicked, seems time consuming asf.  The black diamondy thing is doing my OCD in not being in the centre at all. What's the reason for that?