cutting non 90 deg splines without a form grinder.

sentra

nearly everyone these days would know someone with access to some sort of nc mill, the coords with the above method are as easy as getting the y&z coords out of any cad if you wanted to not bother learning cam. while it is still equipment intensive, it sure beats needed a tool&cutter grinder & (form grinder) and still trying to cut hard steel with hss

people are notorious for adding their two cents at the expense the bigger picture, hence the insistance.

• Like 1

Sentra bro, is that your shit in your shed or you bludging off your bosses back :-)  I was cutting splines (but 90's) in the shed the day before yesterday and took a couple of pics. WTF is an encoda?? That machine of yours moves the hell fast compared to mine, lol. My setup has stood the test of time though, is able to take over 2 inches through the bore and my homemade machinists jack will bend an axle. There is no downwards pressure on the dead center whatsoever - even when cutting. I dial in a measured amount of preload upwards on the jack during the setup and the cutting pressure cancels it out i have found. Made the cutter myself. 4 tips at around $90 - fuck! If Noah had a setup in the Ark - he'd have copied off mine, haha! I am not a machinist and have had no formal training whatsoever. But if you have a passion for something though ... it negates most of the formal training shit institutions stuff into ya.

PB230713.jpg

PB230709.jpg

Hilux axle for a stockcar. Churr!

• Like 5

Would you make unbreakable axle shafts in exchange for money? (trying to decide if i should go hilux diff' or not)

Mate, if this question is for me then I can respline 9 Inch, Hilux and BW78 axles - this is all. And even then I only offer to respline when there is meat there that allows a new spline to be cut. I don't offer to build up a shaft using low hyd rods or similar in order to get a certain length. So pretty limited in one respect but good to know for the users of these 'most popular differentials' :) I can also narrow diff housings (again 9 Inch, Hilux, BW78) and oddly enuff Ford Courier/Mazda1600 housings. I use jigs that run true, my work is decent and I have usually a way quicker turn around on stuff than you will get from an engineering workshop in town.

And why is the print about using a Lux diff in small print, lol ... are you a dyed in the wool Hotrodder that has been brought up on nothing but Ford diffs? :) Haha! Let you in on a little secret ... factory 9 Inch axles have the consistency of cheese a lot of times. Jap iron from the 90's leaves yank iron from the 60's in the dust. The diff heads are a different story though.. 

• Like 1