Kempy's Audio and stuff.

kempy

Thought I'd start 1 thread with the different bits and pieces I work on from.

Starting with...

Here's a Playtape I found last week, it was covered in cigarette smoke residue so I stripped it down and cleaned it inside and out.

Originally it was so covered in nicotine that it was yellowish :(

Playtape machines are like small 8 track tapes (but with 2 tracks), they were only released for about 2 years when the format was made redundant.

q3pkkra2.slr.jpg

I have a 2nd machine that needs a bit more work but I should have that working as well in a few days

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm building up a bit of an analog recording facility, just for interest.  Reel to Reel, Tape, 8 Track etc.

Nice 7 tape unit, haven't seen one of those in ages.

That's cool. Never seen the 8 track before. Just before my time I think :-) .They sort of look like Mini Disks.

Yes I love motorised stuff. You can put 7 tapes in it, then it will play both sides of all 7 tapes. About 7 hours :thumbleft:.

• Like 2

Here's another little project on the burn, I found 2 Pye Mozart amps a while ago and it's time to bring them back to life.

They are what is called an integrated amplifier which means the pre-amp (volume/tone/input selectors) is integrated in the same chassis as the Amp.

When they were sold in 1958 they retailed for approx. 33 pounds each.

I was lucky enough to find a pair of them in reasonable condition

tjbpqabg.kdh.jpg

Here's a rear view of the amp, plenty of dust from 50+ years of life in shelves and sheds.

If you take a close look you'll see 1 large valve ( Vacuum Tube) lying on it's side, the model is what is called a "single Ended" amplifier.

What does single ended mean? Strange that you should ask, but ok, I'll try to explain.

I'll do my best to without making too many eyes glaze over , single ended means that the one tube is biased to the mid point (with no input) and it performs the whole output section with one tube instead of 2, sound confusing?

Lets look at a normal situation using a complimentary pair of output devices, I'll use an example most can relate to; Car Batteries!

If we had 2 x 12v batteries and we connect a volt meter lead to the jumper lead that connects the two batteries together, in this specific example that connection point is called the mid point or "0v".

- [12v batt A]+ --- 0v ---  - [12v batt B] +

If we connect the other meter lead across bat "A" then it would read -12v

If we connect the other meter lead across batt "B", then it would read +12v

(if we put a meter across the 2 batteries (end to end) we would get 24v)

The same logic applies to an amplifier, If I had 2 output tubes (or Transistors) 1 tube would handle the -V side of the sine wave, the other would handle the +V side on the sine wave, with them both connecting to each other at the "0v "point,  put in a complimentary pair they do the job nicely and allow for very high outputs if reqd.

However for a single ended tube we have only 1 output device, so if the maximum output swing was 24v, we artificially "bias" the tube so it sits at the mid point (0v in our battery example), and it can swing up or down 12v to make it do the job

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

The output tube is an EL34 and this model about 9 watts output at 0.3% distortion @1Khz, which was pretty good for back then.

ymxqwtca.52w.jpg

Here's another view with the cover off and the output tube removed, and a quick wipe

ajlvjgd4.izf.jpg

• Like 3

Next job is to dismantle the amps without damaging it further.

The knobs are a snug press fit and the front is easily scratched, so a bit of thin plastic to slide under and pull works well.

xubj12jr.vsf.jpg

Front and knobs off

nwqxuh45.bov.jpg

The main offenders are the 2 large aluminium can type capacitors, the black plastic looking capacitors and the smaller aluminium type capacitors on the board

However to do this I need to unsolder the capacitors from the other side of the board and to do this I have ti unsolder all of the wires going to the 2 transformers on the other side of the chassis.

Here's one of the offenders

They're a brand of capacitors made in the UK back in the 50's and 60's called "Hunts", most technicians renamed them by removing the "H" and replacing it with a "C", sums it up pretty well..

tu5apkw0.vyk.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...