High speed death sway.

sentra

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel like the loose caboose was highly likely the issue, however wont be able to give any closure untill??? some testing time. Iirc there is a testntune midweek at meremere so might go before nats hampton.

in more interesting news, the rear diff is now welded and provided double smiles on test drive.

• Like 6

Here's my 2c. Don't worry about the bumpsteer etc it will be fine (travel probably isn't enough to cause an issue).

Preloaded springs aren't ideal I would consider taking a angle grinder to them to achieve the right height. Although keep in mind you'll be increasing your spring rate (less squat off line).

Why I think this will work is that with the preloaded springs the force exerted when weight is transfered to the front is greater (spring rate measured in displacement from resting position ie kg/mm or lb/in etc) essentially the valving on your shocks is not able to control the movement of the car body as it is unloaded and therefore uneven amounts of traction between tyre and road are experienced.

With less preload in the springs it will transfer weight slightly slower and your shock then only needs to worry about the weight transfer of the car, not a preloaded spring also (assuming weight in car will transfer quicker than spring will unload, either way the force will be less)

Also locking diff/plate type diff will make massive difference. Torsions are pretty much shit the way they unload when weight comes off them.

• Like 1

I used to have a similar issue on my T-bucket and it used to make me giggle while simultaneously shitting myself.  

(Chegan got a healthy case of the deathly giggle shits when I took him for a burn one night)

I put it down to the height of the sidewalls (mega balloon spec) doing it but never researched it that much.

To stop it I would roll off the throttle gently rather than snap it off and the problem was pretty much eliminated. 

But Meremere being a very short runoff then I imagine that is a scary as fuck suggestion to attempt without dying.

They are preloaded because the car is too low, so cutting them isn't going to help. Also I highly doubt preload is an issue, heaps of formula cars crank the shit out of the preload to create zero droop suspension, and I'm pretty sure if it had a negative affect then they wouldn't do it.

I would think its more that the preload might be uneven side to side if the platforms have been moved to raise and make the car level.

of if they are at the same preload maybe the car is on the piss/fruitloop etc. different heights side to side.

knowing it has been/is a rally car make me consider that squareness/bentness could be a contributor. the wheels can have the right camber and toe etc. but one might be slightly further forward on the chassis or whatever which when combined with weight transfer and bumpsteer effects etc. etc. death wobble/jeep spec handling

or it could just be one shitty bushing.

• Like 1

as above there was some terribleness with the rear bushings/whoever put them in made a meal of it.

ill balance the preload tonight and get prepared to go down to meremere tomorrow, have some other issues to attend to also so not #1 priority to spend max time experimenting just yet, but will keep you all updated.

• Like 3

They are preloaded because the car is too low, so cutting them isn't going to help. Also I highly doubt preload is an issue, heaps of formula cars crank the shit out of the preload to create zero droop suspension, and I'm pretty sure if it had a negative affect then they wouldn't do it.

cars with aero are a different kettle of fish though

a road car with no droop or huge spring rates because of excessive preload can be nearly as bad as something with no springs

I agree Rhys, but even if you don't it isn't really a problem, and I am reasonably certain preload isn't the issue in this case.

Clint, not all formula cars have aero, and the cars I was referring to were actually formula fords, and they probably get away with a lot less preload than a normal car due to the fact they weight 350kg. Also preload doesn't change the spring rate all it changes is the ride height.

well there you go i learned something today

it doesnt change the actual spring rate, you are correct

has a similar effect though. i have set up many sets of coil overs where the spring had a lot of preload and a stiff spring, and the car rides and handles badly, has zero droop etc.

loosen the springs so you can turn them and set the height with the strut length, doesnt try to kill you going round a corner any more

• Like 2

so, no news update today on this issue,

couldnt get any gears due to selector system deciding it had had enough abuse on run #1 theirfore couldnt get any real speed to see if the issue persisted.

and then... for some reason even though ive been real good lately, god decided to blow a inlet side gasket somewhere, so back on the trailer it went.

to top off an adventire, in excitement i forgot to even set the preload to be even in the end anyway!

weds night testntune was very sweet, def going back.

however- now only have road trials before nats- and i got a frigging 100kph-with-a-trailer ticket on the way home. luck is at an all-time low.

• Like 2