High speed death sway.

sentra

Hey there, after some rookie dave style opinions here on this can of worms.

Ive got an odd thing going on, go through the trap at 180kph and back off. Untill this point everything appears to feel fine. mabey a little twitchy but nothjng major.

As soon as start coasting down,the car starts trying to steer to the walls, it definatly feels like its coming from the rear. its a bit hard to tell if it gets worse or better under braking as im a bit preoccupied trying to go straight.

the car has every applibile factor i could find online relating to it going on.

It has loads of rear spring preload to gain ride height which apprantly can cause it, however at the os dragday it had none and was the same. alignment is good and to oem, the bushes are new urethane and in good condition.

The car runs no rear swaybar due to not fitting past diff, which is torsen type toyota unit

it is mazda bfmr oem macpherson + irs setup otherwise in the rear.

Thoughts, feelings and opinions welcome.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it isn't the rear end I'd measure your static caster on the front struts and then have a think about how (if) the apparent caster could be effected by a change in stance as you came off the throttle. i.e. it sounds like it's fine when the arse is squatted down, but not when the arse is raised up.... it does sound more like a rear end issue though, or possibly aerodynamics. 

EDIT: What actual car is this happening in? I Googled a Mazda BMFR and I can't tell if that's always an AWD or not

My 205 used to always try to fuck me over under brakes. Turned out the rear torsion bars were a bit cocked up, which effectively resulted in uneven spring rate/preload in the rear, which, when unloaded under braking, tried to slam the rear sideways. It was more of a turn in a certain direction (left) than a 'sway' though. Are your springs and preload dead even side to side? The difference in mine was noticeable with the car in the air and trying to move the back wheels up and down by hand.

The car might have a wheel alignment but is it actually square? The suspension pickups esp. You should put a centerline/centrepoint down the car and triangulate all the point suspension mounts and to the ball joints or a fixed point on each hub.

Also has something potentially moved since wheel alignment?

This said preload issue sounds plausible, if you set it up to get the ride height square using preload its unlikely the preload is perfectly even/car is a twistie probably

it could be excessive toe out on decel at either end (toe out can encourage turn in , so too much can be twitchy) if you have non factory springs bushes etc running factory alignment may not be as good as custom settings to match custom components . good luck ..... sounds scary . also if you have new components it might be worth spanner checking too

cheers for the replys,

have made a "special-service tool" to check bushes as a starting point and found some crappyness,

Tp3HS7w.jpg

will sort that, balance preload (with a tape measure i guess?) and try again.

will see if i can somehow get it on aa's brake balance roller later in the week.