quick 4age blacktop question

ta63-1uzze

yo so has anyone ever jumped a tooth and not had mashed valves?

miss's car wont start this morning, drove fine in the weekend with no issues or faults , strange sounds or anything to cause concern

I just checked all the normal shit, fuel pressure , spark , injector pulsing, ect. . .  cover the simple stuff all looking ok .

I just did a compression test and its got 60 psi across all 4 , dry cylinder,  and cold engine, all plugs out , throttle wide open, so that's shit as . ha

so I suspect its jumped a tooth, I also believe they are interference engines, so this begs the question if it just jumped one tooth do they mash valves??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen it before , but typically on an old belt that has had bad oil leaks, or cause some dumb ass hasn't tensioned the belt correctly, or they haven't rotated the engine then checked the tension again etc. poor fitting.. . . .

I have even had a customer that tried driving through a big as fuck puddle and the water went under the covers, made it skip 3 teeth, but was sweet , just threw a kit at it and was all good.

it got a new belt about a year ago, it was done by the previous owner. only done 8000 km since it was done. (ex company car, auto sparky) have receipts etc. all seals water pump tensioners the lot.bnt stuff so gates belt , good normal stuff ,

I ran out of time to pull it down enough to get to the tensioner/lower half , got to dark to see what I was doing., it has tension across the cam sprockets and on the tension side , but I couldn't see if the slack side or tensioner. so that leads me to think its skipped and not broken altogether.

"how many teeth do you have to jump before it gets mess"

that is the magical question , hence why I am asking all you 4age boys., it was running fine so I can anly assume it didn't  jump whilst it was running, and it still turn over freely on the starter, but that doesn't prove that its not touching. . .  

hopefully I can get home early tomorrow and get into it fast as whilst the sun is still out .   

so got covers off,all nice and dry, tension is a little low for my liking, but still acceptable . timing marks line up ,so that rules out that

so now I'm going to whip of the rocker cover and see what's going on with the top half of the engine.

its very easy to turn over by hand and has little compression at all, I can spin it over with my short 3/8 drive ratchet on the crank.  yes its used and good compression tester. have checked my other car to verify that its not reading wrong.

yes the head was/should/hopefully is torqued down,  it hasn't had any overheating issues, doesn't have the death smell or anything. nothing to indicate that its blown all of the head gasket ? lol

I cant think of why this has happened. hope something is in the cam area , be back shortly

well nothing to report under the rocker cover, looks normal, I've put the battery on charge. will get some clean oil tomorrow and do a wet comp test see what I get.

also getting a second compression tester to try out tomorrow. hopefully its got a leak down attachment . I cant disassemble mine to fit an aero fitting to it arrrrr.

yeah I couldn't get the crank bolt off even my electric rattle gun wasn't strong enough, and it can do Honda crank bolts. so its way over fucking tight . but I don't think the key way is broken cause other wise it wouldn't make any compression at all .

the ignition system is in poor state, so will get some new bits for that tomorrow too whilst I'm at bnt , this car has not been looked after as well as I was led to believe .

Im not really fussed cause I know I can fix what ever it is that is the fault. It just the not knowing that is doing my head in, cant stop thinking about what it could be . shit like this just makes me ocd , I have to know why