Threeonthetree

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,I advise

against fitting a manual choke cable.

I've owned/seen many vals which had had choke cables installed. None have been nice starters.

Here's why;

The factory auto choke on the zhorst manifold incorporates a clock style bi-metalic spring. When the manifold is cold, the spring will push the choke butterfly closed, (And the throttle into the "fast idle" position) when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed once. However as it is a spring which closes off the choke, it's able to flap as the engine cranks. The closed choke makes more fuel pull into the carb, but the engine needs air too for the fire to light. So when a manual choke is installed the butterfly can't flap, and they can be just as shit to start as no choke.

Okay so I also need two engine mounts, a transmission mount and various other vehicle specific parts.

I'm familiar with getting bits for old Holdens but Valiants are new to me.

I've used Kingswood Country and Rarespares for new mounts etc on the Holdens but any suggestions for getting the same for the Val?

Rarespares in NZ do a left and right new engine mount which I may end up getting but would definitely prefer to go with a local or non Rarespares related place.

What is Hemi Performance like? I've just requested an email of their catalogue.

Hey,I advise

against fitting a manual choke cable.

I've owned/seen many vals which had had choke cables installed. None have been nice starters.

Here's why;

The factory auto choke on the zhorst manifold incorporates a clock style bi-metalic spring. When the manifold is cold, the spring will push the choke butterfly closed, (And the throttle into the "fast idle" position) when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed once. However as it is a spring which closes off the choke, it's able to flap as the engine cranks. The closed choke makes more fuel pull into the carb, but the engine needs air too for the fire to light. So when a manual choke is installed the butterfly can't flap, and they can be just as shit to start as no choke.

That makes sense.

This Val has had aftermarket extractors installed but they have gone to the effort of removing the original bi-metallic spring mechanism from the factory manifold and fitting it to the new one.

I'll take a better look at the fueling and carb issues first. It's probably one of those.

Thanks for the advice!

Thanks Bart,

I'll take a look at it in detail once I have dropped the car back onto its wheels and had the chance to drive it properly.

On that note I need to rekit the brake master cylinder and replace both front brake rotors. I have a pair of rotors coming from Wellington and hopefully the master cylinder will be done soon too.

I have allways wondered with the 245 and 265 it says HEMI but its a non crossflow motor, I would live to see a photo of the head.

was marketing bullshit really, trading on the reputation of the proper hemi engines

from wikipedia;

The Hemi-6 is a pushrod O.H.V. (overhead valve) engine, with combustion chambers comprising about 35% of the top of the globe. This creates what is known as a low hemispherical shaped chamber. Although the Hemi-6 does not contain truly hemispherical combustion chambers, the "Hemi" moniker was used primarily for its marketing cachet based on the reputation of Chrysler's 1950s-1970s (true) Hemi V8 engines.

The Hemi-6 valves are 18 degrees (included angle) along the crankshaft axis opposed valves, with intake valves as large as 1.96". The 6 intake and 6 exhaust valves open toward each other, and into the center of the combustion chamber. In addition, both valves are slightly inclined across the crankshaft axis (similar to a conventional "wedge" chamber). The cylinder head is a non-crossflow design, meaning the 6 intake and 6 exhaust ports are on the same (left, Australian and British passenger's side) of the engine.

• Like 1

HIGH FIVE!!!!! welcome to the valiant family!!!!

essage me if your after some parts and il ask the mates around hamilton who also hord valiant parts like myself. also let me know im buying parts from hemi performance tomorrow so if u want in on the shipping and bla bla il hold off to make it cheaper.

as for that FUCK YEAH!!!! WAGON LIFE!!!!

also hemiperfomance nz are under new owner ship and are now bassed in chch and have a face book page also

• Like 1

Sweet Wag Bro,

I have used Pentastar parts in aus to get NOS & repro parts.

http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/store/

hemi performance seemed more expensive for most parts.

And I tracked down the little machine shop in Victoria that supplies both of these crowds with their 2" drop spindles, save yourself $300+ on drop spindles!

• Like 1