Roman

Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:00, ajg193 said:

I did this to jump start a car a few years ago. Worked well, apart from the burn mark on the spanners after.

This was standard starting practice for our MF135 back in the day. Any random piece of steel to bypass the shagged starter solenoid. Used my sheath knife once cos I had nothing else handy and blew a big gap out of the edge. Not thinking very hard that day.

17 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Righto lads, what the preferred breed of sealant/snot for an inlet manifold -> spacer -> carb assembly?

Are paper gaskets alone providing an insufficient seal?

44 minutes ago, Alfashark said:

Never used paper gaskets from the factory, just alloy on alloy.

I use this loctite master gasket, comes in a sweet syringe

42e05d33e91c300ae65d8a73d3f70e06_e4ffc08

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Protip. The permatex stuff is flexible and nonsetting enough to just coat every part of an SU in and have no leaks

• Like 1

Buy paper gasket material and cut some to suit, the goo eventually falls apart. the permatex works well though.

59 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Buy paper gasket material and cut some to suit, the goo eventually falls apart. the permatex works well though.

They're SUs. They'll be off and on at least three times before the goo reaches failure.

• Like 1

After I got the block decked 40 thou in my vg, the intake manifold didn't fit with gaskets, but it was spot on with no gaskets. 

Grey goo around the water ports, and hylomar blue around the intake ports-  no problems in 3?? years

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Yowzer said:

They're SUs. They'll be off and on at least three times before the goo reaches failure.

Uhhhhhhh you tune the carb in place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cletus said:

After I got the block decked 40 thou in my vg, the intake manifold didn't fit with gaskets, but it was spot on with no gaskets. 

Grey goo around the water ports, and hylomar blue around the intake ports-  no problems in 3?? years

The www recommends using Sealant front and back on sbm manifolds instead of gaskets anyway. Can you remember how far down the hole your slugs were with the 1.755 pistons and the 40 thou cut? I've got a block here out to 40 over,  which is more or less the last oversize. I'd planned to cut the fuck out of it.  But my slugs are only 1.740. 

I think I spent $1500 ish on the short block, that was boring, crank polish, balance, deck and clean, resize rods, fit cam bearings.

from memory that rebuild cost around 5k all up, it was meant to be re ring and paint it but that didn't work out.... the heads needed a going over as well 

• Like 2

What do we use these days for lubing the old speedo cables when they start whipping? Was going to use CRC 808 silicon glide.  Any better ideas.  Cheers.