Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Duddley said:

Yeah it does, almost too well. Revs like hell with it out when its going.

Thinking I might hardwire a can of start ya bastard into the air filter.

Just because the fast idle works doesnt mean the enrichment works.

Sounds like it has not enough enrichment when its cold and to much fast idle .

If they have an accerlator pump you should be able to start it with a handful of pumps on the throttle before you crank and it should fire almost right up 

23 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

Just because the fast idle works doesnt mean the enrichment works.

Sounds like it has not enough enrichment when its cold and to much fast idle .

If they have an accerlator pump you should be able to start it with a handful of pumps on the throttle before you crank and it should fire almost right up 

That's a very good point. Unfortunately no luck with pumping the gas pedal. But you're right that there's not enough enrichment. I'll keep looking and see what I can find.

Brake bleeding.

Daihatsu Mira, has a brake proportioning valve/splitter on the firewall. 

Had brake imbalance problem, replaced wheel cylinders , still had problem, got second hand proportioning valve which when you blow air through was more even in what was coming out the rear ports 

Fitted it, had a hard time bleeding it , now can't get any fluid to come out of the left rear ,pedal is good, not a blocked hose as I can crack a pipe at the hose or the  valve and nothing comes out 

It's almost like it has a safety thing where if something happens a valve shuts or something? 

Any ideas or anyone had similar issues? 

i dont think its meant to be serviceable, but there is 2 bungs which can be removed, and under those are 2 pistons with springs behind them, a circlip holds the piston in, which i couldnt get out of the non functioning one

im not actually sure what it does, it appears to be a block to pair the LF and RR circuits together

i think i might just delete it altogether and run front-rear split instead of diagonal and see what happens

Sounds similar to the one I did, piston could just be jammed with crud like mine was. It was sub 1mm ring of junk that once cleaned out was sweet. I'd give it another hoon at getting the piston out. Mine just had a really small ring of debris that was easy to remove. I put it down to infrequent fluid changes that over time just left a bit of shit behind.

• Thanks 1

what's the best way of getting a 14v battery for cheap? I need 14v able to provide at least 40 amps for a minute or two. Basically I need a regular battery with an extra cell? We've just jumped off a running engine in the past but it's a bit of a pain in the ass 

3 hours ago, gibbon said:

what's the best way of getting a 14v battery for cheap? I need 14v able to provide at least 40 amps for a minute or two. Basically I need a regular battery with an extra cell? We've just jumped off a running engine in the past but it's a bit of a pain in the ass 

Easiest way is probably what you do, maybe rig an alternator to be driven by an AC motor to give you the 14v, instead of needed a running car?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tortron said:

Would a big old battery charger put that out. 

My one on wheels puts out a shit load of amps (cauge starts at about 20 and goes to 60) at about 14v

That must be a beast of a charger... Ours is a big (and old) benchtop one but I think it tops out at 10a

... are you sure it's not an arc welder lol 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gibbon said:

That must be a beast of a charger... Ours is a big (and old) benchtop one but I think it tops out at 10a

... are you sure it's not an arc welder lol 

It's loke this thing, but a southafrican brand so no snapon tax

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/batteries-chargers/listing/4295911235