Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck of the draw I would say.

Some 2kw generators would do it. It depends how good the generator protection is.

You could try it on 2x 30m leads joined together. It will lessen the voltage drop at the generator, but not really practical as a long term solution.

Single phase can be a bit of a prick.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, fletch said:

Luck of the draw I would say.

Some 2kw generators would do it. It depends how good the generator protection is.

You could try it on 2x 30m leads joined together. It will lessen the voltage drop at the generator, but not really practical as a long term solution.

Single phase can be a bit of a prick.

Yeah, it's hard to get a generator around on appro.

Looking at something about like this

Hyundai Diesel Silenced Generator 5000W - Diesel - Traditional - Generators - Tools & Hardware at Trade Tested

31 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Yeah, it's hard to get a generator around on appro.

Looking at something about like this

Hyundai Diesel Silenced Generator 5000W - Diesel - Traditional - Generators - Tools & Hardware at Trade Tested

We have a few of them at work for small site backups. Heavy little fuckers.

Have been very reliable. Will start a 2.5hp single phase air compressor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Downside is that it's better to run a small genny under load? Big ones coke up at long runs on low load? (I've heard, 2nd hand)

Well, there's more that could be plugged in. The water pump can just be run once in a while to fill the header tanks in the house.

We only have tank water, and while there is usually plenty in the tanks, getting it into the house needs the pump. That way the wetback would heat the water if needed too.

Cheap option, J5 spec without the fancy changeover wiring.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators/diesel/listing/3998497842

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 21:51, Nominal said:

Well, there's more that could be plugged in. The water pump can just be run once in a while to fill the header tanks in the house.

We only have tank water, and while there is usually plenty in the tanks, getting it into the house needs the pump. That way the wetback would heat the water if needed too.

Cheap option, J5 spec without the fancy changeover wiring.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/business-farming-industry/industrial/generators/diesel/listing/3998497842

Lol that's a big dog.

Yes they do coke up if they are not loaded. Can take a while to happen but does happen.

Example was a camp generator. Nice 4cyl perkins turbo. Ran for a couple of years 50% of the time it had no load really. Ate itself and nearly ran away. Was a bit exciting.

Mechanic pulled it apart to have a look and it was curtains. Then he left and the container door got shut....

Starter motor and alternator fitted my tractor tho

received_537981685101503.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What do people do with engines that will sit for a while. I'll have a mostly stripped engine that I plan to leave in the shed. Do you add more cheap oil? Oil in the cylinders? Blow out all the coolant lines? I could google, but you lot will have engines under your benches, so what do you do with them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, datlow said:

Wd40 on the alloy maybe? 

My 2 motors that have been sitting for 30yrs don't seem to have enjoyed the alloy corroding on the coolant outlet... 

gj5rzue.jpeg

But they may have been chooched 30yrs ago?? 

They make them from a softer alloy and they are like a anode so you dont fuck the head  

• Like 3