Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a car inspected by incar automotive today and he had this computer thing he connected to the + & - on the battery and another clamped round the + lead, the tool could test the engines compression through the battery, I didn't think that was possible but he used the old style compression tester and it came up with the same readings.

it can pick up through the alternators out put the cylinder pressure.  

• Like 1

So I was thinking the same thing and a buddy made a good point of putting some text files as .jpg onto a usb stick and walk around the shop plugging it in to have a geez, he was a tv repairman that geeked out on them and also recommended LG. 

A mate also brought a 40" panasonic cinema screen that looked pretty good to use as a screen but for the price of the thing......

• Like 1

I found the Philips BDM4065UC, 40", nice 1 pixel lines. Many shops couldn't plug things in / be bothered, PBtech guy was setting up an LG for me when I spotted the Philips, which also has displayport to play nice with my hp laptop. (no sound, but not a problem for my application). At first it looked laggy as hell (~200ms), but that turned out to be the trackpad drivers on a new high end Asus laptop! Worked nice with a corded mouse. Will report when set up tomorrow, but good value instore.

So I was thinking the same thing and a buddy made a good point of putting some text files as .jpg onto a usb stick and walk around the shop plugging it in to have a geez, he was a tv repairman that geeked out on them and also recommended LG. 

A mate also brought a 40" panasonic cinema screen that looked pretty good to use as a screen but for the price of the thing......

Might have been better with a GIF / TIFF, jpg can be compressed / blurry.

• Like 1

Might have been better with a GIF / TIFF, jpg can be compressed / blurry.

good call, maybe generate some text in photoshop at the same resolution/size as the screen for 1:1 reproduction? or by now is it easier to just walk around with an hdmi cable in the laptop

• Like 1

Monitor is good. I thought curved screens were a gimmick, but at arms length in 40" class it could actually be a thing. I'm seeing a little colour shift, and I've got full res, but down to 30fps at 4k because of nvs510m. It's supposed to do 60fps at 24bit colour or lower, but I haven't found that magic button yet. Thank KThulu we don't have to reboot windows for video drivers like the bad old days.

Conclusion. Getting a big monitor on appro for your actual desk is probably a great idea.

Edit. The display is BGR, and windows only knows RGB for sub-pixel hinting, and can't change per monitor. Can you get X11 from 1995 running on new windows?

I'm rebuilding the hydraulic system that makes my clutch work on my Hillman hunter. I've bought all the new seal kits to recondition my master cylinder and slave cylinder.

The Haynes manual (lol) says i should hone the bores before putting new seals in. Where as I've now heard stories that honing the bores on such old pieces of shit can often remove too much metal and make them leak under pressure. The comparison was made between honing the bore for an engine (which obviously doesn't use a rubber seal and tolerances need to be spot on) versus a hydraulic system.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Would you make the effort to get it honed? Or would you just bang it together with fresh seals?