Threeonthetree

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh mate.

This is so rad.

Whats the deal with rust in a body of a chassis-body vehicle. Not structural?

Do as little as you can possible do to the body. (including cleaning it) and then roll with sweet undersides.

Living.

The.

Dream.

Yes, that was me. I had forty five minutes to kill so I rolled into town and went to that fair thing on the lakefront.

There was a sweet miniature fire engine hooning around on the grass.

It was a last minute trip and in Hindsight I should've taken your wheel and records with me.

Sorry Man.

'

Thats where I saw you, I was wandering round the market too and swooning that sweet fire engine.

No worries man I was only in rotorua for the weekend so not like it could be planned with military precision 

Oh mate.

This is so rad.

Whats the deal with rust in a body of a chassis-body vehicle. Not structural?

Do as little as you can possible do to the body. (including cleaning it) and then roll with sweet undersides.

Living.

The.

Dream.

Not 100% sure about this but I'll being going through the fineprint soon enough.

Yeah, that's the plan. The only thing that will be cleaned is the interior (need to sleep in it) and the windscreen will have a dry, grubby rag rubbed over it so I can see out.

I'm trying to follow in your footsteps hahaha.

Was really good to see your van up close for the first time.

Might actually have to consider a ragtop. The roof is a tad holey.

If you need any help with anything man give me a buzz,

My vans already become attached to your van

• Like 2

If you need any help with anything man give me a buzz,

My vans already become attached to your van

Cheers Mate. I will definitely need a hand working on it.

I nearly dropped the motor into it today but ran out of time.

Also, the LPG tank that came out of the van seems pretty good.

Does anybody want it? Free of course.

With the help of Bigfoot and zebradude (both ultimate GCs), the Brougham is now residing behind the panel van!

I'll chip away at that too. It won't take much to have it running either.

Cheers for the dinner, plus it was nice to try out the Viva 253ci combo to see if it will fit without cutting it (it wont damn it!!!)

Paddock burnouts coming soon? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I meant in general what are you planning for this.

Mines an HX. I need a good front bumper, dash fascia, door cards and probably 11ty thousand other things.

Edit:

glove box structure/stereo supports

heater and fan

Boot and bonnet

twin headlight buckets and trim

Is the lsd behind a 202 the same as behind a v8?

Oh right. I will run a standard single headlight nosecone on the van as I'm not a fan of the Statesman/Premier twin headlight version.

I have a few complete gloveboxes for an HJ-HZ that you can have. Heater cores are available new but secondhand heater core shrouds are really cheap and plentiful. Same goes with fans.

Keep an eye on Trademe, a tidy HX boot went for $30 a month ago and there are usually people selling most of those parts. Of course being Trademe the price will be exorbitant but every so often you will find some fairly priced items.

Is the lsd behind a 202 the same as behind a v8?

Depends on which year model.

Earlier Holdens (and later six cylinder models) generally used the 'Banjo' differential. It's a front loader type like a Ford Nine Inch which means it has no rear cover plate. The diff centre is removed from the front of the axle housing (towards the engine of the car). Here's a Banjo:

573px-Banjo.jpg

Initially Holden used the Banjo diff behind almost all of its vehicles (save for the high performance Chevrolet powered HK HT HG Monaros and as optional extras). Banjos came in two types of axle spline count with the early Banjos have coarse splines with fewer teeth. They were prone to breaking under load. This was then changed to fine spline axles which solved the breakage issue. From memory they changed this over around 1972-3.

Holden used the Banjo behind both six cylinder and V8 models and they were essentially the same except that the factory V8 Banjo diff had a larger pinion flange to accomodate the larger V8 driveshaft and driveshaft flange. So basically early on the six and eight cylinder diffs were pretty much the same thing.

Holden also introduced the '10 Bolt' or Salisbury differential around the same time. Banjos suffered from rotating centres under heavy load, where the actual diff centre would twist in the axle housing. The Salisbury had a non removable diff centre and rear inspection plate. It was therefore tougher and could withstand more load and abuse.

Here is a Salisbury:

DSC01384.jpg

All HQ-WB One Ton models had a Salisbury diff regardless of whether they had a six cylinder or V8 engine. The difference being that the V8 models have a larger pinion flange etc. These diffs are also set up for leaf spring applications so will not fit directly into an equivalent sedan etc as they have coil springs.

All HQ-HZ six cylinder cars had Banjo differentials.

Therefore for an HQ-HZ model sedan or wagon, the six cylinder diff is completely different to the V8 diff. One is a Banjo type while the other is a Salisbury.

On a Banjo diff yes. You can simply unbolt the existing pinion flange and bolt on the smaller six cylinder or larger V8 flange in its place.

Just make sure that you mark the nut and the position of the pinion and the number of turns needed to remove the nut, just so when you install the new flange the preload is nearly the same. Or just measure it properly.

From what I understand a 10 Bolt/Salisbury can't be done so easily. The flanges are not interchangeable.

So the most common method is to swap the entire diff and modify the tailshaft to suit the new larger/smaller flange.