sheepers 1977 (i think, could be 76) Toyota Celica TA23

sheepers

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im pouring it out of the tin into the holes and then turning the part around until it runs out the various holes. it uses a whole bunch of paint but i figure its worth it. 

not fool proof but i do intend to cavity wax everything as well. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love the build, i have a question as Im thinking fo getting my guards/doors dipped.

once dipped obviously every nook and cranny gets washed out and back to bare steel, what is the trick for getting areas sealed/treated properly in between two panels that have a large contact area such as the wings at the rear edge of the front guard.

there is a contact patch of about 30-50mm down that whole edge, left untreated it would start to rust inside out i presume. 

19394149495_56f54c42ba_c.jpg

yea right.

there's not a hell of a lot you can do. the acid doesn't get in there that well either. if you pick apart a panel that's been dipped you'll still find paint and crap in the lap.

i try and seal the joint as best as i can (to keep oxygen away from making the rust any worse) with multiple layers of paint and sealer's/ cavity wax etc.

Spenno, what do you do?

• Like 1

As Sheepers says there isn't much you can do! When you dip a shell you are not going to seal every seam up so problems arise there for sure. If it's just panels I do as Sheepers says and just seal it up best you can, stacks of epoxy primer and then wax.

I've thought and talked about this with lots of guys and there's not much you can do except bust the seams open and epoxy them! Pretty much every old car could do with that kinda treatment but it's never going to happen. Seal it the best you can and keep the car in a shed, it will last longer that you if you do that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How much monies ?

I unpicked some skins off some doors I had dipped, and 12 months later they were still moist in between the frame and panel.

my panel beater told me, he hates using dipped panels, as you can never get 100% of the acid out.

and would rather sand stuck in the joins than acid.

That being just one mans opinion though.

how much?

i dunno. ill keep going with it until im happy to sell it as a nice car and see what it fetches i suppose.

yea there's pros and cons for both. funnily enough im repairing a hatch lid for a mate of mine right now that was sandblasted and is now all wrinkly and fucked. 

• 2 weeks later...