BlownCoronas Cyclecar

BlownCorona

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what kinda way are they speced/sold as? 

all i need is quite small, M10 sorta size holes, maybe M12 for a bit more strength.

i can pretty much make everything else to suit because i dont have anything else yet. except for a go kart steering column which i will probably extend. 

Actually a couple female male (top right) would probably be best for the steering knuckle connection, and I'd need 6 female female type to make up the rest of the linkages.

While we're at it, I'll also want two even smaller ones (female female) for the shifter linkage, but they might be a bit small for what you do.

Hi Josh.

I shortened a mini steering rack once to use in a go kart, it wasn't too hard to do/welder, grinder,vicegrips and about a foot of angle iron.

It might save you from making idler arms etc.

Today I was thinking about go karts as I some times do. I have seen a couple of carts that had a pivot in the middle of the front axle similar to the way a fork lift is made. It helped the kart to keep four wheels on the ground without the complexity of suspension.

Try some wreckers for rod ends you often find them on the shifter linkages of vans and front wheel drive cars with cable shifters.

• Like 1

keeping 4 wheels on the ground is quite important. Ride on chilly bin has one wheels thats a fraction higher than the others, and will now only do left hand turns. Right hand ones go straight ahead.

It's not actually that bad, but you can notice its weird and doesnt turn as well as it should, especially on uneven ground

chilly bin is tiny though with very small wheels. 

the austin is fairly large and will have independent front suspension. aswell as quite large tires that will add flex to the hole system. so im not too concerned about having the wheels lift, besides an image in my mind has my sideways in this with the inner front wheel off the ground half an inch, so hopefully it looks that cool, and i dont die. 

cant rememeber if ive mentioned this, but a roll bar is going to be built into this aswell, as i dont want to be smeared over the tarmac if i roll. ill problably look for an old 4 point harness to add to the safty aswell as the race looks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what are peoples thoughts on the size of the steering knuckles required? will the 5/8ths (about 16mm) stuff readily availible for karts be big enough?

the steering and suspension is seriously holding me up, and i just dont have the materials or tools required to make up knuckles and mounts and stuff for steering, but you can get weld on kits for good prices, but i cant find much bigger than 5/8ths 

found a good place to get 3/4" weld on spindle kits, so will be grabing a pair come pay day. 

they also have sweet retro pedals, so will grab a set of those too. 

need to finish welding up the shock mounts and attach the swingarm, after shorting it, because i was stupid and made the face thats parallel to the wheel too long, so steering lock would have been shit.

also hopefully the 4 point harness will arrive in the next few days, and ive sorted out a decent little foldable seat, that is actually pretty comfortable. 

ill take photos one day..

reworked the front suspenion mounts to allow for way more low. and will add more bracing as i go. suspension is now pretty much done once i finished drilling the hinges and weld them on. 

IMAG0323.jpg

does anyone have any input on what i should do about the hinge on the wishbone, im worried about it slogging out and getting fucked, should i fit a bush or something? 

got a sweet old style race harness from EURON8, even though its probable a common thing on race belts, i love the buckles, its exactly the same as an Iroquois helicopter belt, so thats sure to add a little bit of extra excitement when strapping into it

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

also got a seat that fits in there pretty well, even folds down which should be handy.

IMAG0324.jpg