BlownCoronas Cyclecar

BlownCorona

more progress tonight, started on the 'backbone' that the steering will hang from and also stiffen the body and mount the front grill. 

starting to really look like a car now, quite happy with its lines. 

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

might need to fit longer shocks cause its pretty slammed - my new wallpaper for a while 

IMAG0353.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep shes been covered before (you may or may not have been involved with discussions) im going to run standard steering and see what its like, and if its too bad, i have a design that will eliminate bump steer that other OSers helped cook up.

the actual amount of travel is going to be very limited aswell.

who knows maybe onces its done ill need to redo the whole lot with a double wishbone setup but ill burn that bridge when i get to it :D 

• Like 2

If the bolts a decent grade it won't care if double or single shear.

It's a bloody kart. stop telling him to change shit and let him get on with it.

. Worst case he can weld the whole lot up solid.

PS. If you'd read a book on suspension and chassis design you may have realized the merits of double shear mounting.

It's a bloody kart. stop telling him to change shit and let him get on with it.

Ease up bro!

Nobody told him to make the bolts double shear, it was just a suggestion, which after all is the whole point of having a discussion. 

The merit of putting double shear in how CUL8R suggested isnt for strength anyway, its to have a nice tidy method of moving the shock mount if he wanted to change the ride height, without having to try and find longer shocks.

Another suggestion that I was going to make is, if you needed to stiffen the front of it up, you could muck about with the angle of the shocks, which would change the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the shock to the pivot of the lower arm. 

• Like 1

oh i thought thats what you were sugesting, having the pivot points all wack, 

in that case yes im sure we are on simlar wavelenghts, im gonna carry on and finish up the steering, and then move onto the rear end, once its actualy mobile i can see what i actualy need to do, otherwise its all just 'maybe this will happen' 

on that note, can anyone tell me if 1" sold axle will be strong enough? i imagine the 1/4" keyway will be the weakpoint anyway? this is the size of the kart gear i can get for a good price