BlownCoronas Cyclecar

BlownCorona

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

well after quite a while of this being in storage in Christchurch while i was in Auckland, i am now back into this project. 

i have been buying up bits and pieces and today, got started on installing them. 

OS member NZford sorted me out with an awesome 1" high strength axle, with 1/4" keys cut in where i needed them. also supplied some castle nuts, and threaded/drilled the ends to suit. was very well machined and everything fit on and lines up perfect. 

also bought a taperloc type sprocket mount and rear sprocket to suit. 

today i mounted the pillow bearings and axle, and drilled the holes in the engine mount, so now the engine is mounted in, though i still want to add some braces to the taller front mount. 

i finished off the front suspension and steering linkages, though it works well on the ground, im not at all confident that it wont need a redesign, as the effects of the suspension travel on toe in/out are substantially larger than i thought, but for now i will probly just lock out the shocks and carry on with the rest of the cart. 

with the axle on and the engine in, the sheer size of this car became quite apparent. its the same size as a mini, if not slightly longer!

IMAG0724.jpg

IMAG0725.jpg 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

slow and minimal. 

fitted a chain and drew up a wiring diagram for the engine. but the starter motor seems to have seized of something so i need to pull it off and have a look, ive been Trying to concentrate on getting the corona back on the road but the new job leaves me with very minimal spare time :(

i wanted it done for summer but it doesn't look like that will happen. 

• 11 months later...

wow! nearly a year since any update/progress. i guess thats what being crazy busy work wise and buying a house will do to you. 

work is still pretty crazy, but were settled well into the new place and this project now actually lives in the garage! previously it was essentially tucked out of sight and out of mind. but i now have big plans for it.

at the new place i needed to make it somewhat of a roller so i could move it around while we shuffled the new house around. 

w5dcxjos.rvp.jpg

it looked pretty cool and it was nice to wheel it around the place. but it was quite apparent that the front suspension, although it was expected it wasn't going to be a great setup, but in fact dismal and unusable. as it induced about 45 degrees of toe in, when moving down a inch of travel. no worries as it worked fine solid mounted with no travel and i was just going to deal with it later. and get the rest going. 

until someone at worked mentioned they were gonna scrap an austin 7 i beam front axle unless i wanted it. so naturally i took it off his hands and ill be sorting the front suspension properly now! 

e03s2n0i.el5.jpg

the original setup would have been a transverse leaf spring, but since im not making a replica of anything im pretty free to do what ever i want design wise so im looking at using these small spring and shock units. mainly because they dont cost me anything! will get painted flat black so they dont look so out of place. more or less im going to set the axle up with a couple control arms and a panhard rod. pretty tried and tested method and should be simple and lightweight.

yesterday i went out of the VCC swapmeet. i wasnt hunting anything in particular but was keeping an eye out for things that would look/work well on this. and i came across a couple austin 7 steering units for a steal. 

not only does it function nearly perfectly for how i want. it also looks awesome with the large (for this car) metal steering wheel. and should provide more turning lock to lock than the go kart setup i had before which would have been very twitchy. 

ow13kri3.2wi.jpg
1mb4p4yv.g2l.jpg

ive also scored an older style bucket seat removed from dads race car. which, while not period correct. still looks great in the cockpit. and should help with safety.

35mmrzzm.3hl.jpg

ill also have a roll over bar made up and fitted. im thinking TQ midget style rear end if anyone has any contacts on where to get an old/cheap tailcone?

• Like 6

today i got a few hours in the garage and set to work figuring out how to get the motor going. its and 80s suzuki gsx250e and there is next to no wiring info on these apparently, but i had a blury diagram and traced wire colors untill i had what seemed like a full ignition system. 

i only had one coil but it was sparking well and even through the fucked ht lead and ancient spark plug it was igniting the engine start and i was super stoked.

now ill make a brand new loom now that i know what goes where and i need another coil. just gonna use the standard 12v old car coil

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

so looks like this is another thread thats been fucked by photobucket. i wont really bother going back and repairing the photos. you can imagine a bunch of shitty welding and poorly thoughtout ideas that will be contined from here on out. 

so i dragged this out from under the bench (very literally) today and cut the frame in half to add roughly 300mm to the total lenght, itll still need some reinforcing but now everything, mainly the driver, fits alot nicer. its also pretty much a full size 30s style gp car now so i dont know what to call it, if just been refering to is as my open wheeler. 

will progress keep up momentum this time? who knows. i only know that it will one day get finished but always lives on the bottom of the to do list. 

i did score a sweet TQ tail cone as discussed earlier. and am looking into some sort of rollbar, though the piece i have sitting there i fear is too thin walled to really protect me in a roll over. which would fucking hurt cause its quite large now. 

ive fucked around with the front suspension a couple of different ways and it kinda sucks all the time so im toying with the idea of turfing suspension all together and just welding on A arms solid and seeing how shitty (authentic?) it rides. 

whmwts0p.kz1.jpg
5l2bpyqd.wyw.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

well i scored a pretty sweet gig working on old classis race cars. unsure how long the work will last but making the most of it as i go, playing with the likes or formula fords, formula f5000s, atlantics and a whole host of other very serious circuit cars. 

problem is it has made my want for a race car extremtly high, and now i would really love a small formula car. thats not gonna happen any time soon (though i may one day build a formula ford style car with significantly better practices that this heap of shit) regaurdless ive forced the want for a racecar into motivation to finish this. 

so after toying with the idea of turfing suspension i did just that, welded the whole deal solid and im pretty happy with that decision, its not a race car i doubt itll be an issue, but given that the next step in suspension was to strip it all back and put proper double wishbones on, if solid doesnt work well, i can do just that. 

welded the mount of the steering box on, just need a ubolt to hold the top onto its bracket. 

Things to do

mount seat

mount pedals

setup shifter and linkages 

accelerator / brake / clutch cables 

fuel system

wire engine up

sort out drive from axle to wheel hubs

build the body (the fun part and the whole reason i even started this project) will be a mixture of alloy sheet and solid rivets and fibreglass

sort out a rollbar so i dont die.

fit tubes (the tires are very squished so ridehight will increase, and the rake will come back somewhat level but still raked backwards which i quite like)

please note none of the wheels have bushes in so are all a bit on the piss, and the rear axle isnt central. 

0ythclxx.tvp.jpg
k5te1cvs.tdq.jpg
u30ki25y.0r1.jpg

and the reason i never work on this heap. i have to stash it under my shelving to fit it in my garage. even when its finished itll have to live under here :( 

yoxfufj5.zsq.jpg

quick/bad MS paint job of how i see the body taking shape, considering the mclaren livery. hopefully thats not too offensive on such a shitty car???

3vtcjq5x.xc4.jpg

• Like 5

today i ordered a super long (2200mm) brake line from aliexpress for $6nzd and  a master cylinder for $10. already have a brake disk and caliper. hopefully the single pot will be enough to stop the whole car, but i may end up upgrading to a 2pot from a big scooter for some more stopping power. i want to be able to lock the rear wheels up and wheel the thing around cones and such! 

also half pie on the lookout for some aluminium sheet that i can use to make my body if anyone knows of something kicking around?

• Like 1

yes i am. i assume you got that time there from the list UC give their students for workshop hours? 

my temp fitting job got pulled from me the day before xmas, and the uc student there was kind enough to give me that spreadsheet of contact details and managed to get some work there, pretty bloody fun! temp at the moment but fingers crossed i can make it long term or permanent! 

and yes im pretty keen to get it finished, the corona is also more or less ready for cert to this is one of the only automotive projects ive got going at the moment! 

heres the other car im working on and carrying motivation over from

Image result for talon f5000

it got crashed into and  the tub looked like this when i started on it 

wioklew3.s2y.jpg
o1jo3gyo.nbk.jpg

and ive gotten it to this point. panels beyond repair stripped off, and just set it away on friday to have the fixable parts massaged back straight and then ill remake the fubard parts and reassemble. it plays right  into my aircraft training being that its all solid rivited alloy sheets. 

ewmtvtge.z3z.jpg
nq1aq1ey.23k.jpg
kqykmfoe.3hk.jpg

I am pretty embarrassed by the absolute disparity of workmanship between the two cars, but i guess thats what happens when you have scrap steel and an angle grinder on one car and a fully equipped workshop on another! but im hoping that the exterior body will be onpar quality wise as theres nothing i need that i dont have at home

also i have to keep in mind one is a full blown racecar and one is a toy!

• Like 5