BlownCoronas Cyclecar

BlownCorona

What about doing a solid front axle beam with trailing arms and a panhard bar?

You'd just have to do something clever with the steering column, like put the bottom end of it on the front axle beam with a telescoping steering column with universals.

This at least works in my head while I'm in an Irish pub eating my dinner posting from my phone

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill try explain it without pictures.

It depends on your steering setup.

Ours used a Gokart style setup. So steering column has a tag hanging off it which then has the 2 tierods out to the steering arms.

Then we had independent A-arms mounted on the side of the chassis.

Now imagine the radius the arms go through under travel.

Then the radius the tie rods go through under travel. They are wildly different due to one pivoting from the centre of chassis and being much longer. So even the slightest suspension travel meant HUGE toe changes.

Im sure there is a picture that shows what i mean.

This works because the pivot points for the arms is central.

MyKart.jpg

My knowledge is all from quick googles i had to do during the rushed build i did.

Im sure with more time you can nut it all out and build something lush

Got any info on that kart?

If you go Solid front axle, you could effectively make a smaller version of what Im doing. 

Mount the steering box up front, one arm from the drop arm to one side hub, with another arm joining both hub. 

Otherwise, you could cut down a steering box, mount it up by the dash - ie steering wheel is pretty much on the input shaft. Output shaft has a drop arm that runs from the cockpit down the side of the car to the top of the front hub on whichever side you need, with another arm joining the two hubs.

You can see the drop arm to the right of the Overflow bottle/firewall. With the arm itself travelling down the car to the front hub to push or pull in the direction to give the steering change. 

Panhard centralises the lot.

284306868.jpg

This one, they should've mounted on the opposite side, so lols they have had to make a reverser to make it work..

322259645.jpg

Anything off like a small datsun (maybe even your Corona) would be quite small, and if you're cramped for leg space, this isnt a bad idea to get the steering completely away from the feet..

This is taken looking from the front, however, gives you a basic idea of the front beam of a randoms car.

You can mount the arms however you like, however, mounts on the same plane are the trailing arms, and the single top mount is used to control the castor (combined with whatever you have built into the axle king pin mounts) Panhard mount is 2/3s the way along.

GBeam040714.jpg

Datsun Steering boxs - check out how tiny they are! 

1006_1285895761_resized_p3231082.gif

all extremely good info! starting to paint a picture for how i went wrong and options from here on out. that datsun steering box is tiny! i wonder if i could track one down, 

also, so not keen to build a stock car! this project had given me such an appreciation for things that are scratch built. just so many little details that need to be worked out.

It'd be easier for me to draw it in person, but laptop doesn't exactly help MS paint skills lol..

Can put you onto a guy for high quality rod ends - to make the trailing arms - can do mild steel ones. Dont really need the Chromoly like I have lol

Hah, that's awesome. Reverse steer FTW. 

This one is basically the same idea: 

Picture1691.jpg

Yeah this is what I meant, thats what happens when you post just before going to sleep! Though reverse steering could be a fun brain exersize...

• Like 1

I do like that design, it won't fix it completely, but it will lessen the effects, and I won't have to waste any of the parts I've made already.

It's gonna be a few weeks till I can work on it again with Hanmer and the Corona being delivered the weekend after that. Gives a good amount of time to sus it all out