Who in CHCH does asbestos testing?

RUNAMUCK

I'm thinking it's time to build a new garage, and tack it onto the morgage.

I'll deconstruct the old one myself. The lady nek door reckons that the shite which two walls of it are made from might be asbestos based. (Looks like plain old hardy/cellulose fibre board. But it's 1950's spec, so it might have the aids.

Who can I take a sample to to have it tested? I'd like to save coin by tearing it down myself, but I don't want to die from it years down the track, just as my kid(s) move away, and I'd be able to start enjoying life again.  (I plan to die last)

Discuss!

I used to do demolition of old houses. Getting all the native timbre etc. You can get kits to test it yourself. The shit thats in the walls etc isnt to bad. Its the crumbly crap thats around  pipes and things that is the bad stuff.

Theres not alot of rules around how you dispose of it (this could have changed in the last year or so, im not to sure) but just need to rock some disposable overalls, the right micron masks (cant remember what it was. They where 3M ones tho) and keep it damp with this special spray stuff you mix with water.

Its piss easy to do, just think about what you are doing.

It probably does have the aids. If you plan to remove it yourself, do a lot of homework. There is no "bad, and not so bad" when it comes to asbestos, it's all bad. I should know, I have the card to say I sat through a boring course about it. Just like anyone else working on fletcher stuff would have (in CHCH).

Even if it's just normal fibreboard, that shit is full of shit too, so you'd want to protect yourself in any case.

Demolish it in weather like today (fucking wet, for those not in CHCH currently), where there is no possible way for dust to be created. Plus all the other safety gear of course.

Yeah my sponser can supply me with dust masks etc, although if it is "full blown" I'd even consider wearing my respirator for max filtration. (Although, prolly with old fucked cartridges, that'll stop dust, but that wont stop solvent vapours anymore)

Back 13 and bit years I was working on the reno/remodeling of a big 50 plus year old building. One morning I got asked to remove a wall. So with my trusty sledge hammer of justice, I reduced it to a pile of bricks.

Fucked off to have morning tea, and came back to find the whole room was completely sealed off with plastic. With huge signs saying Danger Asbestos! Fucking good one cunts I thought.

A mate of mine did that asbestos fletchers course. He said there were a metric shit ton of cunts in attendance.

when the only case study for a person with asbestoesis in asbestos awareness training was a forklift driver in an asbestos manufacturing plant, youve got to assume that its a big moneymaking wankathon like methlab decontamination??

whos going to take the bait???

• Like 2

Iv spoken to ppl doing air testing for asbestos.

The danger level of fibers per cube of air seemed huge.

like you'd be standing in a dust storm of the shit before risking your health.

http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe/information-guidance/all-guidance-items/new-zealand-guidelines-for-the-management-and-removal-of-asbestos-3rd-edition/monitoring-asbestos-in-air-levels-and-clearance-procedures

this is interesting.

nah asbestos is way worse than smoking. its even more worse if you smoke aswel

there are rules on disposing of it. at least up here in Auckland there is. have to put it in special bags and pay extra to dump them somewhere. also wear a real flash respirator and a full body suit and use a special vacuum to clean up any dust etc that doesn't spew out the shit from the exhaust.

its probably really expensive to get a pro to do it but it might be worth it iduno

when the only case study for a person with asbestoesis in asbestos awareness training was a forklift driver in an asbestos manufacturing plant, youve got to assume that its a big moneymaking wankathon like methlab decontamination??

whos going to take the bait???

I thought the same but then I did research into it when I wanted to do my ceiling and there are heaps of people with asbestosis who did like one home renovation 30 years ago. so yeh its probably a bit of a lottery cos there heaps of dudes who are fine even tho they used to smash it for a living. That asbestos town in Australia was awesome. Should watch the vids on youtube. Like everybody/lots of people in the town got asbestosis and silicosis and stuff. said if you parked your car for 10 minutes it'd be covered in dust lol and when u drove around you kicked up big asbestos dust clouds