Cul8r's Standard 10 Stockcar

CUL8R

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah you can use the AU injection manifold and have it modified to suit an adaptor plate..

similar to what they do on commy motors aswell..

you can get the ea/eb mpi manifold and have a webber bolt straight on, or use an adaptor for a holley.

it takes alot of patience to build a stockcar, i almost finished mine when i was forced to sell it due to a marriage break up..

it was a "slap together", but stuff the haters, it held together really well in its first season and apparently it handled great with new shocks..i used old shit for mocking up..

all up my whole stockcar build cost $5k with all parts minus new shocks..

loving your build mate, i know the guys that are helping out know their shit too which is a real bonus

Correct yes you aren't able to run injection.

The Injection manifold does however offer more torque over the flat plane style ea-eb manifold. You can run a distributor, however in instances of a big whack the distributor gear can fall off - which also drives the oil pump - things can quickly go south. Caps and rotors are prone to jumping and breaking, so I've opted to go for the ECU ignition only - rev limit, stronger spark and turn key reliability - well thats the intention anyway.

Yes also have to run the stock exhaust manifolds.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, time for an update. 

Canterbury Champs has been and gone, managed a respectable 8th equal from 29 cars. Reliability was the key there, although I wasn't without my own dramas. Have chewed through a clutch, broken a input shaft flange off the gearbox - snapped the dowel holding the throwout bearing, then the braided line and made one hell of a mess. 

Missed one meeting due to parts availability but managed some extra racing last weekend. Good to get some laps in - however I was battling a miss-fire all night which meant the car speed was down. - To be fair the car still had the same spark plugs, leads and coil pack from when I pulled it from the road car 3 years ago!

I've also been struggling with the linkages on the shifter. Finally managed to track down a used Ford Prefect 100e shifter already modified to suit (this involves turning the gearbox on its side - which the Walford bellhousing has the capacity for this anyway. Instantly worked better, but I have had some problems with the throwout bearing from the prior disaster.. (O rings were destroyed, fittings were damaged)

Missed one meeting due to parts availability but managed some extra racing last weekend. Good to get some laps in - however I was battling a miss-fire all night which meant the car speed was down. - To be fair the car still had the same spark plugs, leads and coil pack from when I pulled it from the road car 3 years ago!

Anyway ; I had bought quite some time ago a MSD lead kit from Craig @ Pro Parts - so set to making them up - took me maybe 1.5 hours to do, however they're certainly a much nicer finish and fit!

20160131_155005_resized_zps87qjjvlw.jpg

20160131_184836_resized_zpsmmq5udad.jpg

20160124_185802_resized_zps09vu8zju.jpg

- As seen, I've modified the position of the lever so it sits forward and well to the left of the steering wheel. V-d out the join where I welded it, then also sleeved it. I've since drilled the base so it picks up more points on the gearbox, and welded some gaps that were causing gear oil leaks..

Thanks to Tim, Blaine, Matt & Troy helping on the car when they can - all hands make it easier getting the car on the track each race and far less stressful!

• Like 4

my first stockcar weighed in a 1499KG with 2l in the tank

my second car was 1440KG.

third car was 1485KG

and I never got to weigh the one I built, but I know they had to add in some extra steel to up the KG..

im pretty stoked youve finished it.. the Reads are pretty helpful ae.. I had their 2nd chassis

• Like 1