Insulating turbo manifolds, coatings?

cute wee gem

Hello chaps.

I've been using cheap "titanium" heat wrap with great success. That is, until the manifold gets taken off a few times and the wrap turns to shit, but it works damn good for thermal insulation.

Anyway for the 2jz manifold/DP etc I'm making, I'd like to get them coated if there are any that are good? mainly because it's less bulky, lasts longer, easier etc (plus it's less itchy)

Do these fancy coatings actually give good thermal insulation? (my main concern) - I couldn't give a shit about what it looks like, although I'd prefer it to not be blingy. It's made from sch 40 steam pipe so corrosion resistance doesn't really matter either

Chur bowl

i had my manifolds/front bits of exhaust done in HPC hi temp stuff. seems to work- theres a lot of hot exhaust bits in the engine bay and it doesnt get that hot under the bonnet and has lasted well, and has had a number of full load stationary cooling system tests, which is quite scientific of course.

http://www.hpcoatings.co.nz/ExhaustHeatManagement/tabid/32279/Default.aspx#HiPerCoat_Extreme

would definitely do it again

• Like 2

i had the pinto turbo manifold done at HPC about 10 years ago...was awesome stuff,i got it done in silver,cost me $90..

had an entire 12a coated,it never got hot even while being abused to death..

no idea how the stuff works,but it does..

will look at getting my stockcar manifold done too

we have argued this in person amongst a few of us here, plenty of disagreement/fit for purpose arguments to be had which is cool,

i voted the other way and say its a sack of shit - compared to heatwrap

heatwrap on turbo hotside outlet, you can see the pipe glowing through the gaps in wrapping, but you can still touch the wrapping.

the only thing i noticed with hpc heat coating was less money in my bank account.

although you can also argue that exhaust wrap is dangerous if it gets the slightest amount of oil on it.

have seen a couple of cars burn to the ground due to that...

it only takes a rocker cover gasket to start leaking or if you wrap it with dirty hands