injected boosted kent xflow

427carguy

Ok so on the weekend at the mainland meet some one mentioned injecting my supercharged 1300.

This got me thinking im going be going to a 1600 soon with better cam ported head ect.

What would be involved in an injection setup?( Iv only ever owned carby cars)

What injection system could I use?

What ECU?

How do you map the ecu for a xflow?

Rough price? ect.

Keeping in spirit with car car it would have to be cheap and most the work done by me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played around with those Falcon TBI units before, easy to redrill for a Weber flange and would have heaps of capacity for forced induction applications.  Injectors might be a bit big for an NA 1600.

You could just use an early Link as an alternative to a Megasquirt - they can be run with single point/throttle body injection.  I ran an 1800 Viva on an early Link with a Starion single point injection unit, couldn't get it to idle properly because even at 1% duty cycle the mix was too rich.

I like the simplicity of TBI units because you don't have to shag around with making manifolds, etc.

i was just coming here to sugest ITBs, surely a throttle and injector set from a 1600cc 20v 4age would be quite suitable?

20v levins end up at pick a part more than often so you should be able to score the parts on the cheap. 

benifit with FI and an ecu, is that you could run an o2 sensor and let the ecu fuck with the fuel map so you dont use 3/4 tank of fuel on the way to hanmer!

My suggestion would be to add 4 injector bosses down near the head and either replace the Weber with two 4AGE throttle bodies or re-design the intake to fit one large throttle body. You could place the T/B wherever you want so it's not too obvious. 

1239001_585197358186145_236237456_n.jpg

The other option is something like this: 

throttle-bodies-fit-dcoe-manifold.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen a few 3SGEs and 4AGEs with gutted out DCOEs used as throttle bodies and injectors still in the head.  On a xflow you could drill and weld some injector bosses into the manifold somewhere (what Markku said).  Jenvey also make some nice throttle bodies which can fit on standard Weber layouts (Like downdraught flanges), but they are pricey (was looking at them last night after I first read this).  All depends on how much you can fabricate yourself vs. how much you can spend.

You can run the Link as fuel only and rely upon points, or a standard electronic ignition setup like Lumenition and keep ignition control out of the Link - just rely on weights and vacuum.  I did that with the first TBI setup I ran, but it was a bit poo.  I wouldn't recommend that if you're doing boost, because you can't control ignition at all.  You'll have to fix (or strip) the advance weights in the dizzy and use a 4 pole reluctor insert.

• Like 1

Okay, im really slow with this stuff.

But basically I could use the carb (this no fuel ect in it) as the butterfly even tho its before the blower? if so I like this idea coz itll still look old.

then install some injectors in the inlet manifold?

Then I need to modify the dizzy a lot so the computer can talk to it, do I need some type of crank angle sensor? 

Is there anyone on here in chch that could come have a chat and lead me thru it a bit?

few ways to do it,  you could possibly fit a trigger wheel in the current dizzy if you wanted to get fancy. but best/ easiest would be to use a trigger wheel on the crank pulley.  will need a sensor to read the teeth on the trigger wheel yes.  there are 2 different types commonly used.  vr  and hall/optical.  vr is easier to setup.

throttle before or after  the charger is fine. 

some people are easy to trick with 20v throttles. an old chap walked past me the other day at pukekohe,  and was "ah sidedrafts"   pointing at my 20v throttles.

You MUST fit the TB to the intake of the blower.

And please intercool the shit out of it.

Straight  up though,

Built your 1600 first, slam it in the car, and get it tuned good. See how that bgoes befoe you drop another $2k (Above and beyond what your new motor will cost) on you car.

although they're not as sweet as an A15, you'll have more cubes than me. So it should still fuck shit up goodly. Maybe rock an L18 crank?

how come "MUST fit the TB to the intake of the blower" ?    after will work better if running an intercooled setup.  otherwise running it before, the whole supercharger, intercooler and pipework is the inlet manifold.   

just need a bypass around charger when throttle shut.

• Like 1