Turbo inlet manifold design

sluggy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My manifold is turbo ready with that Audi tapered tube thingee inside. And internal trumpets. They kept melting. I tried all thenflavours..boysenberry lasts longest.

I completely techonogically designed in my head. I think I got it about perfect and predict about 1100 bhp at 4psi of boost.

I like the idea of variable length runners ala Mazda 787. Sticking through the bonnet. With huge K&N pod filters on the end of each runner. That would = many sticker allowances.

• Like 1

Can't say i have seen this issue with factory manifolds falling over top end wise (well there are plenty of factory evo's making 400KW plus on untouched inlet manifolds)

maybe a bit of an extravigation,  and its going to depend on the engine.   but point i was trying to get across, is its worth  tuning your inlet manifold runners, to the rpm thats going to work with rest of your setup.  not just short is good, or longer the better, or it doesn't matter because its turbo.

if look you at some dyno sheets, a lot of them will hit peak torque, soon as the turbo hits full boost. then start to drop.  move that up so you get more cylinder fill at higher rpm, so more power and extended power band. again this is for a big turbo on an engine you can rev more than factory.  if you have some big cams in there, its not going to be as noticeable.  but doesn't mean you aren't missing out on the extra power a good rpm tuned inlet can produce

Agreed to fine tune / maximise gains there is merit investigating manifold design. I would say in most forced induction cases you could nearly double factory torque / hp before oem manifolds really start to hold you back(generalization I know).. which is pretty sweet for most of us backyarders..

I think what im saying is that fancy manifold design is not a must have unless you are getting pretty serious.

i like kpr's thoughts on the matter a tuneable manifold will increase the driveability of the vehicle which i reckon is more useful

than a lightswitch powerband due to either oem manifold constraints or poor design.

seems like a cheap mod to me that'd be worth consideration

^ that is one of the most impressive 1Uz's I have seen, but he won't try another manifold. There is a Guy on PF that offered to make him a custom one for nothing if it didn't work, and that guy didn't take him up on it, so I don't really know what to think about it.

As far as 1uz are concerned, Ed on Veight.com is the man to listen to IMO.

i like kpr's thoughts on the matter a tuneable manifold will increase the driveability of the vehicle which i reckon is more useful

than a lightswitch powerband due to either oem manifold constraints or poor design.

seems like a cheap mod to me that'd be worth consideration

Heh, yeah but most standard manifolds even for turbo cars have long runners - and people chuck them away for aftermarket manifolds which short runners which probably causes exactly what you describe.

good example of what im talking about.   torque peaks as boost stops rising,(i know there is no boost plot on that graph, but its fairly obvious whats going on)  then falls.  power flattens out. tune inlet to work just after torque peaks in this graph, and should be able to make it flat line, like a good na engine.  power will keep increasing.   the actual peak torque maybe a little lower. but will make more power in at higher rpm.  more progressive and wider powerband.   no point tuning anything to when the engine is off boost, if you want to go fast. this would be why the chap wanted to make him a inlet manifold

again this is for big laggy hi power setup.

BLK40TTorque.jpg

shitty comparison, but an example. 

1.5L engine with big turbo, shorter than factor inlet runners. stock cams. needs too be revved more. see how the torque follows boost.  just like a good na follows the atmosphere

pic_0001epdyno.jpg

• Like 1

basically if you want all of the power then you want all of the revs as well as all of the boost, and you want all of the lag - because that means your turbine isn't choking the top end.

if the motor ISNT tuned for all out power then having the inlet tuning lower might help but probably not that much.

to reinforce what kpr is saying, the effect of boost is so much more pronounced than the tuning effect of the inlet manifold (unless its utterly woeful british junk maybe) that tuning the inlet below the engines boost threshold is not going to be very noticeable so you might as well tune the inlet for once the motor is on boost and reap the benefits of the inlet tuning multiplied by the pressure ratio.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...