NEW SCHOOL QUESTION

felixx

Ok my neighbour came round to ask me a question today.

She has an 03 Primera with 98k on the clock (Has had it since new)

First up..

She took it in to the local nissan dealer, because the engine fault light came on.

Oil Change and Plugs came to $300 but the warning light was still on.

When she asked why it was on she was told she had a faulty ignition coil and she could

either a) Replace all 4 coils at $260each + GST + Labour They would have to replace all 4 coils as they cant test them to see which one is faulty

B) Cut the wire to the warning light

She has poor english and I am concerned they are shafting her.

My questions are?

1) Do you need to replace all 4 coils? or can you keep exchanging them until the warning light goes out (work out what one is the faulty one by elimination

2) is $260 + GST the expected part per coil

3) do the ignition coil modules just unplug? Ie can I buy them and swap them for her.

Her husband is very unwell and she has a lot on her plate and if I can help her out I would like to.

Cheers

Glenn

yes agreed, usually there is a faccy spec for coils and test detailed. sounds like nissan dealer spinning black magic story.

I'd have expected the cel to produce sufficient detail as to which cyl has the misfire - my 02 BMW certainly does.

have you an OBDII checker? perhaps you could read the codes for her.

i no that on mazdas and fords it can be hard determining which coils are faulting but usualy you can try them 1 at a time as the coils are all the same part so no need to exchange just plug into the next cylinder and try again. most of the time you can watch whats hapening using obd2 and see which coil is faulting also.

I'm pretty sure a coil fault wouldn't throw up an engine light... Is the thing actually missing or running on three?

Coils can easily burn out if the plugs haven't been replaced. Knowing nissan, that was probably the first set of plugs in 98,000k's - crappy plugs are the biggest killer of coils.

• Like 1

Being an 03 it'll definately support ODBII, I can probably check the codes for you next weekend?

Bollocks about not being able to test which coil, they're just trying to make the job easier and get more money.

do this, see what the actual code is and go from there

• Like 1

If it's a QR# engine it's possibly a stretched timing chain I wouldn't expect a coil to throw a check light, but most likely produce an intermittent miss.

But I am no technician, just a lowly parts guy/probably don't know what I'm talking about.

She took it in for a check engine warning light and they changed the plugs and oil and reccomend they cut the wire?

This is worse than just poor, its pathetic. Ring up service manager and give him a serve, then threaten further action. Thats shocking from a backyarder let along a francise.

Does it actully have a miss? With car running remove a coil at a time to see which one doesn't affect the running and replace that one, you will still need to have the codes erased most likely. (have seen Cefiros trigger light from coil problems so it happens)

God damn. What a muddle.

If they are diagnosing a faulty coil as the cause of the engine check light, I would be almost certain that the fault code will be a code for a missfire. In this case the coil will either have completely died or will be fine when cold and then failing once it's warm and under load. Most common way coils fail on, coil on plug set ups.

If this is the case. You can continue to drive it. The coil WILL completely fail. Then it's just a matter of unplugging the coils whilst the engine runs on three cylinders and seeing which doesn't drop it to two. This a pretty backyard way of doing it but very quick and easy test. An oscilloscope is the best way to test it. But the workshop in question clearly doesn't have one or doesn't know how to use it.

But to be honest I would recommend replacing all four coils if she can afford it. They have all done the same amount of work and have been stressed if run on excessively worn plugs. The others will fail eventually. She could spend the next year or so repeating the same fault until all four coils have been replaced.

Proper diagnosis is my recommendation, as the could just be clutching at straws. If the workshop in question suggested disabling the engine check light. I would suggest telling your friend to go to another reputable business. And never ever go back to the dealer in question.

That is so fucking disgraceful. I am ashamed of my industry.

another thought i had one of these at work with the same code it was a qr25dd direct injection pulled all the plugs out and found 2 cylinders to be running rich it had cylinder missfire and o2 sensor codes it turned out to be leaking injectors very commin fault had to replace the injectors and rail not cheep though $2500 you cant buy injectors on there own. also on other vehicles like isuzu mu and wizard v6 and a few others have one different coil on cylinder one they look identical bar 1 number in part no and iff it is in the wrong place it will throw codes

Had a pile of shit 01? nissan wingroad (prob same/similar engine to primera) do the same thing to me, was one of the coils bringing the engine light on.

Tracked down a cheapo second hand one and just swapped them round until the light went away.