Suzuki GT200 resuscitation...

Willdat?

Starting to look good.

One thing that does start to look out of place when drops bars are put on is the headlight and instruments.

After I lowered the bars on my Guzzi, I had to lower the light and instruments. easy job to do on my bike. I machined up some collars and used longer bolts.

Someone with more photoshop skills than me should shop the bits lower.

Keep up the good work.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dscn0848m.jpg

Starting to look good. One thing that does start to look out of place when drops bars are put on is the headlight and instruments. After I lowered the bars on my Guzzi, I had to lower the light and instruments.

I'm not sure if this photo is clear bu instruments/ light have been lowered 50 mm or so. Will request opinions once reassembled!

Yep agree- get them milled off. Get the whole top given a skim so it's dead flat and sexy

Not quite enough meat to skim the entire top to the same level unfortunately, see what you lot think of this, probably a 5 mm step in the middle would be doable...

• 3 weeks later...

Pictureless update.

As I pulled into my driveway last week the bike died and since then no amount of coaxing/ether have elicited a cough of life. Delved into workshop manual (because I can!) and ignition coil is shot, new one on the way.

Currently painted satin black which revealed a fuel leak in the tank...guessing there's a knead-it type product I can use for a weeping leak? Any suggestions?

Where did you get you indicators from?

What is the diameter of the lenses. They look sweet. Like minature OEM ones!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181004140324

US$9.99 for 4, shipped! The only issue was that they aren't actually 23 Watt (They're 10 and there's no such thing as a 23 watt bulb that will fit inside them, electronic flasher sorted it)

Lenses are around 30 mm diameter.

Cheers

Cool man,

Thanks for your help.

How does the 200 twin go? Does it have some dort?

Not as well as I think it ought to, it's all done at 112km/h (by GPS), considering the 250 was supposed to be good for 99.8 mph I think some ponies have escaped. With the new coil I'm hoping that a few may return home!

The exhaust is probably gummed up to buggery, set it on fire and take the head off and clean that and you should get them back.

pretty much this i remember my 2 smoker exhaust weighed heaps before i got it burnt out freed up some well needed ponies

my mate has a suzuki x7 that makes something like 60hp using modified rg250 cans and has some extensive head work and is like 300 and something cc goes like a cut cat and its tiny

60hp, That would be terrifying...the X7s are supposed to go very well. I can't imagine what the T500 must be like!

I've been reading up on how to burn out the deposits, the mufflers weigh ~ 6 kg each at the moment so there must be a huge amount of shite up there. Is there any definitive sites with advice on how's best to do it?

the X7 250s were popular in club production in the early 80's, relatively close to the RD250's... until the RD250LC came along and rendered the X7 almost redundant.

yamaha_rd250lc_blue.jpg

ISTR mates back in the day running meths through the exhausts (shaking, prodding, extraction of lumps of carbon with wire), and then hanging on the clothesline in the sun to dry out. re-installing and finding untimely mono's following re-discovery of 15-20 hp. YMMV; proceed with caution.

loving your GT200 project, its great to see old 2-stroke twins on the road.

Wife wasn't super keen on me whacking them on the bbq so after spending half the day running meths (and then petrol when I ran out!) through them. I went over to work and jumped on the LPG torch, very very good fun, especially in combination with the compressor (foot long blue flames out the opposite end!). I've now got a clear 20 mm hole straight through the middle. Certainly can't hurt performance!