Suzuki GT200 resuscitation...

Willdat?

I picked this up today

241081714full.jpg

241642698full.jpg

Needs some love (idles from 3.5 - 4k, all bulbs died on the way home, 100km/h is full throttle in 5th(but it will do 110 in 4th!))), on the plus side it is reg'd and wof'd and goes well enough to keep up with traffic.

Feel free to post inspiration here as I'm not sure what direction to take once the gremlins are sorted...

It's a 1980 Suzuki GT200 X5 which is a 2 stroke, twin carb/exhaust/cylinder machine. It has drums up front which do a great job. I'm suspicious they aren't original as it also came with a disc front end and alloy wheels in the pile of spares

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks awesome, it's it in as good condition as it looks on my phone?

I'd pressure test the crankcases to make sure there are no leaks, then strip and clean out the carbs.

I think all the GTs had disks, but the drums look better so just rock that.

have a look on dtt, there's a guy who really went to town on his 250. it's a really long thread and all the way through I was thinking "fuck he's ruined it, no it's coming together awesome, oh shit he should have stopped he's ruined it again"

cafe racer is the obvious choice if you want to customise it, but for the summer at least, just get it running sweet and ride the shit out of it.

Google for info "ozebook" and "sundial forum"

I was going to buy that - did a heap of research because I thought it was a bit weird to have an 80's bike with drums front and rear.

I found that it looks like the NZ built versions were a combination of what was the GT200 and the CB200 overseas.

If you look at stock pictures of both you will see which parts that have been taken from both and made into the NZ version...

Nice buy - I'm jealous - for me it was just too much of a PITA for me to get from the South Island and was told it may be a bit underpowered for my heft.. :-(

that looks awesome, it's it in as good condition as it looks on my phone?

I'd pressure test the crankcases to make sure there are no leaks, then strip and clean out the carbs.

I think all the GTs had disks, but the drums look better so just rock that.

have a look on dtt, there's a guy who really went to town on his 250. it's a really long thread and all the way through I was thinking "fuck he's ruined it, no it's coming together awesome, oh shit he should have stopped he's ruined it again"

cafe racer is the obvious choice if you want to customise it, but for the summer at least, just get it running sweet and ride the shit out of it.

Google for info "ozebook" and "sundial forum"

Sweet cheers for the info, it's definitely not as pretty as these two photos suggest, has the patina that you might expect with 69kms on a commuter bike. I'm off to my inlaws on Sunday for 2 weeks so it looks like I've got some time to get the planning sorted. Clip ons ordered last night for the whopping 30 mm forks!

I was going to buy that - did a heap of research because I thought it was a bit weird to have an 80's bike with drums front and rear.

I found that it looks like the NZ built versions were a combination of what was the GT200 and the CB200 overseas.

If you look at stock pictures of both you will see which parts that have been taken from both and made into the NZ version...

Nice buy - I'm jealous - for me it was just too much of a PITA for me to get from the South Island and was told it may be a bit underpowered for my heft.. :-(

I wondered about the SB200/GT200 hybrid thing, a quick google says you are indeed correct.

The guy I bought it off was 125kg and he reckoned he saw 120km/h indicated once or twice, it's surprisingly hefty for what's supposed to be a 131kg machine (I just about didn't get it on the trailer without a ramp), I'm guessing that's dry

Wow, that is a monster length tank! Something like that without the fairing would be about perfect...

Questions I need to sort;

Rear set pegs, what's an economical way of doing this?

Removing the airbox, pod filters, or is there something more 'period' that you can do?

I like not having to bother with premix, so clever solutions for 2 stroke oil reservoir?

are u already missing part of the airbox? in the pic at top looks like maybe u are? maybe that's why its running poos? period would be velocity stacks with mesh filters so massive rocks/bolts don't fall it haha. but not ideal for everyday riding where u might see dust etc. have seen a few twostroke drag bikes n stuff just run nothing on carb inlet. Will have to re jet and what not if you remove airbox to get it to run good/optimal. but even then you might no get it going as well as with factory airbox as intake manifold length and slides and well everything will be set up with the airbox in mind. May end up being a lot of work or might be fine who knows. Running premix means one thing less to go wrong and will look cleaner I guess but then a bit of a pita seeing as you'll prob be refuelling every 100-200kms

Pod filters are likely to decrease torque through most of the rev range, but if you're willing to accept this, they look cool. Velocity stacks look better if you like rebuilding your crank/topend.

When the T500 won the IOM TT they used the standard airbox cos it worked better than everything else they tried.

Rearsets, I think mounts etc were pretty standard on Suzis throughout the years so you might be able to modify a set.

Definitely keep an oil tank, oil is injected directly into the main bearings. Maybe lawnmower fuel tank if you want to change it. I bought an old Coleman 4M stove yesterday for $10 which has an awesome tank, maybe look out for something like that.

are u already missing part of the airbox?

Good spotting, I hadn't noticed that they were missing in the photo, definitely there, bike also had sweet insulation tape stripes (and a new plate) added since the photo was taken.

Pod filters are likely to decrease torque through most of the rev range, but if you're willing to accept this, they look cool. Velocity stacks look better if you like rebuilding your crank/topend.

When the T500 won the IOM TT they used the standard airbox cos it worked better than everything else they tried.

Rearsets, I think mounts etc were pretty standard on Suzis throughout the years so you might be able to modify a set.

Definitely keep an oil tank, oil is injected directly into the main bearings. Maybe lawnmower fuel tank if you want to change it. I bought an old Coleman 4M stove yesterday for $10 which has an awesome tank, maybe look out for something like that.

Hmmmmmm if keeping the factory airbox is the sensible option I may as well keep the oil tank as it's pretty well hidden. I'll keep a look out for rear sets off a T500 or similar!

• 3 weeks later...

dscn0800c.jpg

Clip ons fitted - clever ideas for what I should do with the original bar mounts?

dscn0804vj.jpg

Cut down rear guard

dscn0807f.jpg

dscn0810b.jpg

Bike as it currently sits. I was originally going to make up a new seat but the 80s squareness has grown on me. I may shorten the seat and keep the rear cowling in the future, but at the moment I just want to ride it!

I still need to sort a new flasher unit as the indicators came with 10 Watt bulbs, not the 23 Watt ones ebay promised.

I also need to;

Trim the front guard

Remove the chain guard

Sort mirrors (shorten existing ones or buy bar end mirrors)

Paint?