Compressor and Air Tool Questions

felixx

It's not too difficult to get a bigger single phase connection in most places. Especially for those that have a gutted garage to run wiring through. You can easily get a 20A or even a 32A single phase connection. It's moving to 3 phase that often costs much more for extra metering and connection fees. High current single phase SHOULD be a piece of piss to get.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you plan on painting abit, or more importantly using air sanders or die grinding, you will want the biggest compressor you can get on single phase 15A. This is about 3hp and will be roughly 390l/min this is still to small for using sanders more than 15min or so, ours is a 3 head, 3hp and its too small for what we do. If I had 3 phase I would go out and spend 2k+ on a big one (or there seems to be allot of second hand 3 pase comps for cheap, ex workshops), like buying a good welder, if you buy a shit one you will regret it

shit yes, 3 phase compressors from business liquidations/IRD sell offs are sweet deals. just the problem of not having 3 phase :(

Yea thats gravy Ned obviously single phase can support more than 15A, but show me the range of single phase compressors that are bigger than what I said (looking at ours its only 305l/min, 3hp). There are dual motor ones etc for single phase but not easy to find or cheap.

So anyway ~305l/min is the max most of us will get on a home supply, most sanders and die grinders are 4-500l/min. Mine runs full time with the DA sander or sand blasting cabinet, so get the biggest one you can if you plan on doing this stuff

As for water traps, you want to have some hose before the trap, preferably with a vertical section of hose. If you are painting run a decent water trap at the compressor end and a disposible on the gun, with the small compressor you will be getting allot of water if doing a full car having the disposable really helps

Yea thats gravy Ned obviously single phase can support more than 15A, but show me the range of single phase compressors that are bigger than what I said (looking at ours its only 305l/min, 3hp). There are dual motor ones etc for single phase but not easy to find or cheap.

Interestingly some of the decent direct drive single phase units are higher than 300l/m, perhaps they are more effeciant than the belt driven units with the same size motor. Again though they do not pop up too often. This was a nice comp for a really good price IMO http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =514817049, running an Ingsol Rand motor so cant really go wrong there and 342l/m. That would have run ya spray gun all day.

A good way to increase volume without increasing tank size is to plumb ya whole garage up with approx 2-3inch steel fixed line, galv pipe is often used. This gives you the advantage of multiple tap of points aswell as increasing volume.

Gaz

Yea 342 is pretty good

Also run the least amount of quick change fittings as possible, I have only one at the tool end of the line, every thing else is hose clamps and barbed fittings. I removed the one quick change at the compressor end the other day and straight away I had to dial down my gun regulator quite allot to compensate.

The only thing putting me off a compressor is the fucking annoying BRAAAAAAAAAAAGH noise that the small ones make. Would be keen for something low rpm that goes dugadugaduga in the backround.

Waimaks' i think still has a sweet one made from an old fridge motor? and apparatus usually used by terrorists for constructing bombs. Looks like its going to blow the house up rather than a tyre.

yeah i've got one from duds that is a fridge pump and a tiny tank. pretty sweet for small airduster jobs/blowing up tres. never use it though, really.

my cheap ass direct drive one is pretty rowdy. used to be quiet enough from outside my shed in welly but my tin walled shed up here makes it louder, I'm sure.

poor neighbours. hah!

might trawl for a super huge compressor head and use my old man's kubota tractor engine on it, in a soundproofed (by batts or something) micro shed. could work awesomely.

I think that may be the same compressor referenced above lol. Mounted on a small slab of wood? Last saw it when duds was living with J5.

Run a genset off the diesel and a heat exchanger for hot water, run on lhm/old oil/chip fat and see how many hours you can slam on it.

direct drive must be limited to certain rpm though - 2pole ~3500rpm ish, where a belt can 'overdive' the pump with pulley ratio.

/it probably depends more on pump design

Mine under drives the pump by heaps, so i'm not sure any would over drive them as that would take a lot of juice! Not on single phase at least.

I'm assuming the 300L/min is FAD? I like how they use the 'marketing' figure first, then show the FAD figure. 445/~280/min on my compressor. Same pump but with a petrol motor manages 326L. 16CFM single phase, 18CFM petrol. Fuck listening to the petrol one all day though :lol: