Compressor and Air Tool Questions

felixx

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Faster to get to pressure and more flow

really ?? i thought CFM at pump was CFM at pump, and FAD was exactly that.

so if it a 3 cyl 15CFM compressor, then each would be 5 CFM so pressure and flow would be equal to single cylinder 15CFM ??

flow is more dependant on size of delivery plumbing and tool fittings.

From what I've read/been told, the 3cyl units run quieter & cooler than a single. Quite important for me because we're in suburbia & the garage is close to the boundary. I'm not in the business though, correct me if I'm wrong!

• Like 1

I've had mine come on at 3am before... Never made that mistake again. Good units, especially with the run on mode when you've got a big chob on.

I replaced the piddly drain valve with an elbow and a ball valve, much quicker to empty it out. Tiny hole in stock one. Also replumbed the outlet to have a regulated line and a full pressure line. Nice purchase.

• Like 1

Ah good advice! Any idea of the differences between the 15 & 16 units? Look identical to me, same motor, pump, tank capacity but no specs available for my one. Thinking I'll just assume they have the same output when considering tool purchases.

Will be pretty much the same, and will run whatever you throw at it, within reason. Might be able to google rough guides on air consumption. No model code on the unit?

Difference could be in Pulley sizing or motor rpm. But will be bugger all in it really.

• 1 month later...

how do you work out FAD if the manufacturer doesn't specify?

Ive got one of these http://www.nardicompressori.com/en/?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=209&name=extreme-4d-90-litri&Itemid=947&category_pathway=60

Supposedly a 480l/min compressor, Ideally I'd like it to be able to keep up with the small sand blaster I have, but it cant, not sure if its not performing as it should or I'm asking too much of it but it doesn't feel like its double what my previous compressor was on paper.

I guess on the positive side, is nice and quiet and the automatic dryer works well.

A bit of an update..

Got a bit frustrated with the output of either compressor not being able to keep up with such a small sand blaster, so I started from scratch again

This time I picked up an unused 2nd hand cabinet that 's a bit larger, added a dust recovery system and instead of using garnet I'm using glass bead.

Wow, what a difference, it seems the glass media cleans 2-3 times faster than garnet on the copper/brass/aluminium and ssteel bits I'm doing and I can see in the cabinet at all times, often with garnet it just turned a sandstorm in a box.

I'm blasting at lower pressure which means the compressor can keep up too.

Cant help but keep rummaging in corners of the shed for things bead blast :thumbleft:

m10rcoc1.2jj.jpg

• Like 1

Stainless is really easy to contaminate with mild steel dust.. Blasting it into the surface will cause tears (edit. From your eyes, not in the metal) the first time ya stainless gets wet.

We have to be very careful here at work to keep the two separate for this reason...

Ideally you'd have two cabinets.

• Like 1

A bit of an update..

Got a bit frustrated with the output of either compressor not being able to keep up with such a small sand blaster, so I started from scratch again

This time I picked up an unused 2nd hand cabinet that 's a bit larger, added a dust recovery system and instead of using garnet I'm using glass bead.

Wow, what a difference, it seems the glass media cleans 2-3 times faster than garnet on the copper/brass/aluminium and ssteel bits I'm doing and I can see in the cabinet at all times, often with garnet it just turned a sandstorm in a box.

I'm blasting at lower pressure which means the compressor can keep up too.

Cant help but keep rummaging in corners of the shed for things bead blast :thumbleft:

I can drop some stuff off if you run out of things.

• Like 1