Sam's Hunter Wag discussion.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Good work man - but why can you not stop the oil leak from the crank?

Because they have no crank seal. Just a groove in the crank thats meant to flick the oil back into the crankcase. But fails. British engineering at its finest.

I suppose you could bore out the timing cover & weld in a sleeve. Then put a collar around the end of the crank to cover up the groove & fit a seal in. But that sounds like hard work.

Guest yoeddynz

Most interesting. I like this thread. Lots of good photos.

Now tell me.. Is that tea or coffee? I think it's tea mainly 'cause you are British and thats what you do. Can picture the Rootes Group design team sitting about in office....

"Now moving onto seals for the hunter engine...what type? Rope? Neoprene? Hmmmm".......

"Oh sod it. Let's have tea and think about that next meeting"

• Like 1

Guest Slacker_Sam.

That time it was coffee as I was extremely tired. But coffee and scones wasn't quite right. I would love to have been at that Rootes meeting.

"Ok Chaps, tests have shown that oil seeping out of the rear crankshaft is filling up the gearbox bell housing & wetting the clutch. Any solutions?"

"How about we drill a hole in the bottom of the bell housing? then the oil can just leak out...."

• Like 1

Guest yoeddynz

I have carefully selected a Japanese engine known for leaking oil from the cam covers. I have done this on purpose as its a british car and by not leaking it would simply give the game away.