Injecting nylon resin into tired ball joints ?

yoeddynz

One of the lower front ball joints on my viva is a touch sloppy. It didn't get picked up at last warrant but I noticed it when the car was on he hoist at work.

I have asked about for new ones but these ones were only fitted to vauxhall ventora 3.3s and firenzas to suit the bigger brakes.

Rocking horse poo.

And I bloody well missed out on a pair of new ones being sold in cypress for £42 posted to a few weeks ago as I thought at the time- nah I don't need them, mine are fine. Sods law eh...

Any way.. Vivaspeed mentioned to me that I could get them injected with resin- through the grease nipples. I asked my work mates and they said they used to have a kit to do it. Still companies overseas doing this service and it seems popular and approved. But my workmates said its now illegal in nz?

I have priced getting it rebuilt by HBI engineering in Chch .. $125+gst + freight! Ouch.

If anyone can help with ideas, or know somewhere else I might try for parts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That nutech company above gives a 60,000 mile warranty. I wonder if it's down to how bad they are to begin with?

If I can find a local company that can do it then it's worth a try I figure. And then keep a look out for new ones in the meantime.

There is a company that does the polymer injection but something tells me it is illegal/a have - but IIRC there is also a company that properly rebuilds balljoints - something tells me they are in Christchurch..

edit - on searching

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing ... ering-ltd/

http://www.hbiengineering.com/

if you believe the guff on the website it looks like you'll end up with a joint that will last the life of the car...

Yeah that HBI engineering are the ones I rang this morning. $125 + gst each. Remember I am a Davidson. I have huge amounts of Scottish blood running through my veins. Hence I drive a cheap viva...which I love keeping cheap. But yeah..I smell hints of snake oil..

I would not recommend nylon injection, also it is illegal now for good reason. Nothing more fun than having a ball pop out or fracture from a worn housing when you need it the most..

Have used hbi for some real oddball stuff, can totally recommend. Also you get what you pay for with things like this, fit grease and forget.

I would not recommend nylon injection, also it is illegal now for good reason. Nothing more fun than having a ball pop out or fracture from a worn housing when you need it the most..

Have used hbi for some real oddball stuff, can totally recommend. Also you get what you pay for with things like this, fit grease and forget.

^^^ Borgweiser fairly well confirms my feelings on the matter - so Mr Davidson it looks like you need to fight past the gorse in them pockets...

that catalouge ^ has a listing for a victor 3300 so you may be in luck!

actually on closer inspection, its the same part number as a viva HA, HB, HC

you sure they are different?

also, can recommend HBI, like Borg said, grease, fit and forget.

Dpns- all of those are the smaller items that cooking model vivas have. Mine are physically quite a bit bigger with a bigger taper as well. They were only fitted to the 1967-1972 FD Ventora 3.3 and the very rare HPF Firenza(the ones with the droop snoot nose similar to an rs2000 esky)

Wiki seez...

In February 1968 Vauxhall launched the Vauxhall Ventora, which was in effect a marriage of the Victor FD body with the 3.3-litre six-cylinder engine hitherto offered only in the larger Cresta and Viscount models.[12] The Ventora offered a claimed 123 bhp (92 kW; 125 PS) of output compared with 88 bhp (66 kW; 89 PS) from the 2-litre 4-cylinder Victor, also featuring correspondingly larger front disc-brake calipers.

I fitted the ventora arms, uprights, hubs, discs and calipers off a 3.3 due the the bigger discs. The inner wheel bearings i found out recently are a pain in the arse to locate as well!

In retrospect I should have fitted magnum items which are only a tad smaller but you can still get parts for them.

willy Sam - I'll try hind motors too. Cheers guys. Back to searching...