Anglia4's CB650

anglia4

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

The mrs has been out tonight so I had planned to fit up a new exhaust.

I didn't like the 4-2. It sounded like a tractor and I had to put restrictors in and it was all just a bit shit.

null_zpsa6cea65d.jpg

I've got a short megaphone muffler I pinched from duke Blackwood (gotta buy him a new one) so I'm going to build a 4-1

I got this far:

null_zps4a274636.jpg

And spent the rest of the night at the doctors. :(

Despite the fact that I only ever work in the shed looking like this

null_zps696c93ad.jpg

A sneaky piece of shite weaselled past my safety specs and into my eye during the very first cut.

Im Unhappy but at least I've made a start

It would be more pro if I had some better clamping tools.

Trying to hold things in place with one hand and tack with the other hand and no filler sucks. Hence the hole in the far pipe just above the collector haha

• Like 1

Well I've finished the exhaust. It looks pretty tidy, I haven't wrapped it yet cos I wanted to see if it sounded any good before I wasted a bunch of wrap.

I got real excited and spent money on rego and was about to go out again and buy a new battery for it, but thought I better see if it runs first. It doesn't :(

I can only get one plug out cos my plug spanner is at home, but it seems to have a very weak and intermittent spark. You can crank it for ages and it won't fire, then after a while it will fire a few times, and I even got it to run for a minute for that video, but now it won't go again.

The electronic ignition modules are near new, the leads and plugs are near new, I tried another plug and it was just as bad. When the mechanics replaced the ignition modules, they said the pulse generator was outside its allowable readings so they got a second hand one that was borderline. I'm thinking its probably the pulse generator since its so intermittent. 

Any ideas and ways I can test them?

Also open to aftermarket systems that are worth looking into, I've looked at Dyna stuff before but can't find anything CB650 specific.

Itching to ride it now cos it sounds amazing!

th_141E293B-0F2D-466B-81F1-478E93C6FDB4-

Well after spending the afternoon fault finding we think we have found the problem.

It was looking like being the spark units (which would have sucked because they are several hundred dollars each and I have already replaced them once) but in the end turned out to be an intermittent fault in the key switch which was cutting the power to the ignition circuit so the coils were only seeing about 1.5v. 

Yay! Its only like a $20 part, we are going to clean the terminals on the old one and fill it with sealant (moisture is the cause) to see if it sorts it out.

We also set the gap on the magnetic pulse generator pick-ups. It was at 0.030" so we have set it to about 0.013" and now it has a heaps smoother idle and crisper rev when its cold. Choice.

Can't wait to get it back together and go for a hoon. Exhaust sounds so damn good! 

• Like 2

Got a new battery in it last night and rode it to work today.

The new pipe sounds great, the old 4-2 dumpy pipe used to have a good growl in the low revs but would break up and sound rubbish higher in the revs. Now it has a nice smooth sport bike sound low in the revs and a wicked howl when you really open it up. SO FREAKIN STOKED!

And since setting the gap on the pulse gene, it now revs right out and happily dialed up 140km/h in a short stretch of road. Which actually really pisses me off because when I first bought it and had my major rip-off session with the local honda shop, they replaced that part to try and solve exactly that problem, but obviously never adjusted the gap. I will never in my life ever take another bike back there for anything at all.

So stoked though, its finally becoming the bike I always wanted it to be. I think a good carb ballancing session and it will be smooth as gravy

• Like 2

So I built this highly calibrated piece of precision measuring equipment

null_zpsbd95fa00.jpg

I was planning on measuring one cylinder at a time but it pulls way way more vacuum than I thought it did and sucks the fluid right out of my manometer. Yes I had the other end sealed.

So I'm going to modify it tomorrow night and try two carbs at a time so I'm just measuring one carb against the other rather than against the atmosphere.

Wish me luck

• 4 months later...

The ignition switch fault above reared its head a few weeks ago again.

Was out riding with duke blackwood and he was having a strop on my CB when it just stopped (had been running rough all day so I wasn't surprised really).

Trouble is that we were here (little red dot):

Untitled_zps807b9f71.jpg

So we used a crazy little credit card knife thing to cut the indicator wiring of his GB and hotwire the CB to get home. It ran heaps better after that so it obviously wasn't getting good voltage to the coil.

I've made a temporary hotwire plug/key for it until I get around to replacing the ignition barrel.

90BF85A2-6551-437C-A488-9414B658CB3E_zps

1FC8EF7B-CAA3-4416-A5DA-92BE675E5B76_zps

7D085893-2F77-4C00-95E2-5898F29C2F2D_zps

I have also found that from having the carbs apart so often, one of the gaskets is leaking now so I'll have to get another carb kit haha.

It never freakin ends!

• Like 1