i5oogt's '72 Datsun 260C

Snoozin

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So close but so far on the weekend. Hit it on Sunday, everything went pretty well with the manual swap...

Clutch bled up sweet, went through all the gears on the hoist with no worries. Dropped it off the hoist for a test drive, pumped the clutch a couple of times and whoah! No clutch?!

Had a peek under the car and lo and behold, a puddle of brake fluid. The piston had been pushed out of the cylinder. So I guess I have a problem with either a short pushrod, or maybe I need to adjust the master cylinder pushrod a bit shorter...

Hopefully I'll drive it soon.

Sounds like your slave cylinder is either the short one of the two you can get or you need a longer rod, easy enough to makeup. You'll love the better drivability and economy with the manual conversion.

Just remembered also the release bearing carrier may be wrong (ie short and long) which changes the engagement point of the fork. Alot of a series guys have this issue

I've got no idea, and Google has thus far proved mostly fruitless.

Although a few people seem to have had this issue, and have solved it with a longer pushrod. I might just guess how long it needs to be, if the piston isn't bottomed out in the cylinder it should function as per usual, right?

• 1 month later...

Holy shit I am totally in love with that wheel!

How much better does it go with the manwell conversion?

I wouldn't say heaps better, but it's definitely a nippier wee thing to punt around now. Gets off the mark quicker as expected, and cruise with the 5th gear is OMG awesome. Uses 2l/100km LESS than it did with the auto on an open road trip.

• Like 1