Mega Shed of Ed.

0R10N

wonder why he nogged the purlins

Now im not a builder, but i though perlins went on top of the trusses for the roofing iron to get nailed to.

If you mean the nogs between the bottom chord of the trusses, then i would say its to stop them flexing, as its the bottom of the truss that takes the strain, even if its mostly tension.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the roof was going to be lined the nogs would have to be alot closer together then that.

The max is 600mm centres currently. 450mm if your using 10mm GIB board.

I would say that nogging is just for strength reasons. Normally the ceiling battens would hold the bottom chord's straight.

Also the trusses them selves apear to be 1800mm apart instead of the normal 900mm max

Anndd. Looks like the shed isn't going to have purlins. the nogging you can just see between the top chord's of the trusses is for the colorsteel to screw to.

Id say they have blocked it out to give strength and meet bracing requirements. Having the iron direct fixed like mentioned above is good IMO, makes it way better if you have to walk on it,

Ed, what ya doing for lighting?

Gaz

no weed plants (apparently I'm already a big time drug dealer* so why the fuck would I need to do that?) but will use part of the roof cavity for storage of rims and other such junk. There were never any initial plans to line the roof with anything more than building paper.

The nogs are for extra strength is my guess. It feels a bit weird standing in the centre of the shed and not having any poles, just four walls holding the entire structure up.

Gaz - the garage company is proving four flourescent lights gratis, and I'm going to buy another four thru Richy for a total of eight. There will also be two strips of clearlite running across the roof (see here). There was going to be a third row of clearlite as well but there was some reason for not adding it, probably in case I decide to convert the back half into office/storage/chillax space later on.

*actually no, I am not.

If the roof was going to be lined the nogs would have to be alot closer together then that.

The max is 600mm centres currently. 450mm if your using 10mm GIB board.

I would say that nogging is just for strength reasons. Normally the ceiling battens would hold the bottom chord's straight.

Also the trusses them selves apear to be 1800mm apart instead of the normal 900mm max

Anndd. Looks like the shed isn't going to have purlins. the nogging you can just see between the top chord's of the trusses is for the colorsteel to screw to.

Im talking about the top chord purlins being nogged in and not just sitting on top. The strength would be no different but nogging would take a million more hours for the builder. The only reason i can think of is that they would sit to high if they were on top and interfered with the height-to-boundary

all y'all building talk is confusing! :lol:

Regarding interior bling, I doubt I'd get any further than a ton of shelving and some bench. Maybe some sweet power tools and/or presses. But I'm sure OSGC Auckland will come up with some ideas :D

Progress at the end of Day 19 shows some of the exterior cladding is up, as well as the building paper. Windows are yet to be installed in the far wall - was initially scratching my head but upon closer inspection the cutouts are all there.

6706183645_8a81cb4374_b.jpg

So jealous of your shed and love how its going to just look like a single garage from the roadside.. But little do they know its got tonnes of awesome inside.

More jealous of the fact that you get to kit it out with mean storage and shelving - I love storage and shelving and always have to stop myself buying/accepting free sets of drawers, cabinets and shelves.. Its an obsession that I can only just keep under control..

Oddly enough I have a distinct lack of surplus drawers/shelving/cabinets. This may be a problem going forward.

Did pick up two free bookshelves at the inorganics last year, but intend to use these in the house for the display of Lego and old cameras.