Crown indicators being balls

Seedy Al

hey guys

So I ahve my wagon going in for its re check on monday, and AM trying to sort out all the last minute little things

ones of those being the indicators.

Being old, they are not working haha,

basicly what happens is you turn them on, and they wont flash, however if you use the hazards, they do flash.

I have checked all the bulbs, and they seem to be within the set limits of the indicator unit.

However they were a bit corroded around them, so I have wondered if that is the problem,

Anyway, the flasher unit is a two pin, one from the battery side, and one to the switch. i'm a little confused as I seem to have 12v on battery side, as you would expect, but also have 12v on the switch side, which doesnt seem to make sense to me,.....

However, it has just occured to me that maybe the fuse for the inicators is busted and its back feeding........ might just check that. but, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Chur in advance

Allan

might be of no use at all , buuut we often get trucks come in where the indicators flash on hazard but not signaling , e.g left wont work right might .

turns out to be the relays alot .

i also had this issue with wagon when i first bought it

Regarding the voltages on the pins, it is most likely correct having 12v on each side, however the circuit wont be made until the indicator stalk makes the grounding connection. I'd be checking that there is a closed circuit when the indicator is one way or another, maybe some corrosion around the base. Because if the hazards are working then the logical answer would be the stalk.

yeah and I'm sure some cars have a separate relay for hazards than they do for normal indicators.

heh normally this would have been my first comment had anyone else asked my question..

However It would seem on the crowns that the one relay does does both.

I also have tried another relay, and that worked just the same, just lights coming on but not flashing, unless it was the hazards. (probabaly should have mentioned that to start with. Doh)

I had been thinking of the switch it self, have had problems in the past with the british shit i used to work on.

Might have a fiddle, I have a spare one shitting here anyway

I would say its a high impedance through the switch. When you flick the hazard lights on, as both sets of bulbs are going you may be getting enough current draw to run the flasher properly, but with only left or right turn signal - it might not be pulling enough juice.

Thats my theory anyways.

The more bulbs the higher the current which means the more lights the higher the chance of the flasher unit working

It might be that the flasher unit is buggered, or that the lights have too much resistance/are not powerful enough. As in a 2 watt bulb might not be strong enough but a 12 watt is

Well. I feel i have tried everything, and i still dont have any damn flashing indicators.

I am so fucken confused.

Feel If I had a wiring Diagram then I might have a chance to figure it out.

grrr......

So far have tried uping the wattage of the smaller indicator bulb, and all bulbs seem pretty bright.

I have tried by passing the indicator switch,

I have tried both a mechanical and eletronic flasher unit... (can get them both to flash on hazards only.)

Probabaly the only thing that I have thought of is at the power side of the indicator switch only really has about 12v when the car is running, however, there is 13 something volts at the flasher unit when the car is running, so i cant really see that being the problem.

I Just wish it was fixed so i can fucken take it for its vin tomorrow hah

So of all fucken random things, i think I have put it down the lamp warning relay, as I was trying to get them going again today, got pissed off and wacked the braket that the indicator relays sits on, and they fucken started working,

But they only work sometimes, once you hit the mounting plate, so Will try my spare relay for that and see if its any better.

Stupid futuristic cars from the 70's