Neds 'Quest for Smoke' ('93 LS400)

Ned

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my parents neighbour brought one of these new, he still has it I think. It did have some get up and go when he brought it. He took me for a ride in it. He was a 60+ year old chinese bloke when it was new so he didnt do skids, but it seemed capable of it.

Maybe just be content with power slides.

BTW I am impressed with your ability to fix the CD player and your ambition to get the car phone working too!

replace the ECU temp sensor (its the green one out of the three) to sort out your fuel usage woes.

and as for skids, mines a fly by wire VVTi model and it will lay some serious 1's with the traction control off. roll backs (very gently) will get you smoking, if not then i dunno.

install supercharger?

Is the temp sensor something that needs to be replaced frequently? I can never be bothered working out the gas consumption of my cars but mine doesnt seem to do too bad.

I just take it to full on a weekly basis.

Cheers dude :)

I did a compression test tonight with Cam at his shed.

Was all around 210 give or take 5 for 6 out of 8. One was 195 or so and one was 220 so good enough.

Temp thing sounds like a good place to start. Will have a look to see if i can see what sheepers is on about/go see him and get him to point it out to me.

Also going to do spark plugs tomorrow as they looked like they could do with replacing for an extra 1000 milliHP haha.

Got some glue to put the window winder switch covery things back on and some paint to paint the window wipers this weekend.

Since the keyless entry on the key (did i mention this?) is not keen to work properly and a new one is $650, i have decided to make my own. Have ordered a key fob with 5 buttons with an AVR micro controller and a Nordic nRF24L01+ RF chip on it (same as on my GPS lap timer) and will make my own remote thingy.

Am currently thinking of shit it could so. Current list;

-Lock/Arm

-unlock/disarm

-windows down

-windows up

-remote start and possibly act as a stop button as well?

Thats 5 buttons anyway. Could possibly/probably do lock/unlock on 1 button and windows up/down on one as well which would free up two more. One for boot popper and will have 1 spare for god knows what... filler cap popper? Any ideas?

Theres some good info on club lexus regarding these cars. All the hidden features and stuff as well as schematics for the sound systems and a full manual including wireing diagrams.

Give me a sec and I'll find it for you.

Edit: here it is

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/4 ... hread.html

In the service manuals link, youll have to go to the end of the thread and find the site that its on.

Its hosted somewhere and they use a comunal log in to access it.

<3 u!

edit;

had a read and will do this in the weekend! My speedo plays up every so often (read once) but the fuel guage isn't too happy with me so will replace a few capsl ike mentioned here and see how it goes then :)

Wonder how much different it is for RHD vs LHD :?

Cheers dude :)

Current list;

-Lock/Arm

-windows down

-windows up

-remote start and possibly act as a stop button as well?

Thats 5 buttons anyway. Could possibly/probably do lock/unlock on 1 button and windows up/down on one as well which would free up two more. One for boot popper and will have 1 spare for god knows what... filler cap popper? Any ideas?

My wife's airtrek does windows up etc.. and also a long press on the lock button will fold the mirrors away... (fuck knows why)

Boot popper sounds good if it's already electric.

Replaced temp sensor today and all spark plugs... still no b-outs :(

Attempted to re-set ECU (like someone on the Lexus forums suggested) by disconnecting the negative of the battery for a few minutes and still no go. Will try resetting ECU again by unplugging battery for a few hours and see how that goes..

On my car, it was really sluggish because the fuel pump ecu/resistor gaylord was all on the piss and would never switch to full voltage properly.

I have no idea If the UCFXX stz has a similar system but from memory you can bypass it by mashing a wire across E1 and TE1 in the diagnostigs port in the engine bay.

If that doesn't work, see if unplugging the AFM makes any difference.