Neds 'Quest for Smoke' ('93 LS400)

Ned

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a bunch of nice bits for it today :)

3" exhaust

ash tray insert

better cup holder (with a lid that works)

CD stacker

Heated mirrors for those frosty Auckland mornings :P

driver side rear door rubber

tools for tool kit

inner lining for boot lid

some random spare bolts i was missing

All up was a tidy sum of $350 :)

Will update later with pics etc.

Also;

unplugged O2 sensors to see what it would do. Too soon to tell on fuel economy really but it made no difference to performance.

Drove it from work to motorway and took the new motorway to the shore, then motorway back out west via town. Did 57km and used less than 6L of fuel :) during this time i drove 90 on motorways with cruise control with air con off. Drove it like i normally do for the last 100km and used 15L of fuel. Kinda need to do more driving aka a weeks worth and see what it's like. Will see what it does on the open road this weekend when i bite the bullet and trek it down to Rotorua/Taupo and back... hopefully 10Km/L or something sensible like that? We'll see.

you told me i could if i had a service manual (which i don't [yet]) but you didn't say how to do it. Plus the diagnostics port has 2 out of 4 O2 sensor outputs available and one of those O2 sensors was poked so figured for the sake of unplugging 4 plugs, it was worth a shot.

Ah yea sub-02 sensors go straight to the ECU

Still all you need to do is short 2 terminals and read the voltage, it tells you if the ECU is compensating for a fucked sensor, or another long term rich/lean condition like a vacuum leak. Google will give you a manual in 2 sec

Guess i owe you some money. From the quick look i had it doesn't go into what Spencer was talking about and it doesn't have the wiring i wanted (want the remote key opening ho-dickey wiring and phone wiring) Will transfer some $$ anyway but more money available for the information i require peeps!

Simon, PM your bank digits if you wanna be paid :)

Im at work so I cant help search, must be one somewhere?

Anyway this is the same, follow this to test the oxy sensors, it will lead you to a faulty o2 sensor or a lean/rich condition. Driving around with them unplugged and testing fuel economy is a complete waste of time

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=119

Also they will not be the reason you are down on power, have you done any of the other suggestions? test the Intake temp sensor? ECU water temp sensor? checked the function of the fuel pump controller? Even test the AFM?

I haven't tested much due to being sick/getting ready for bike summit and trackday and a plethora of other excuses. All i've eally done so far is replace the temp sensor for the ECU, get fault codes and swap out the AFM with 2 other ones (one was a known working one) and measure the O2 sensors. Will do more proper testing in the near future. I just wanted to see if disconnecting the O2 sensors made fuel economy better so i could afford to drive it to my dads for fathersday and it appears i can.

Fuel e onomy greatly improved! Got 15 awith my normal use instead of 20 like before and open road to Rotorua was 9.9L per 100Km and the way back was 9.6L. This isn't scientific but I'm happy with how the last few days have gone :-) now to actually use the manual I got to figure out what's really going on.