Toyota SCs suitable for suckthrough?

Baxter

Anyone know if SC12 and 14s are any good for suck through set-ups?

Had a wee Google, but couldn't find anything especially helpful.

The main thing that concerns me is that the Toyota SC isn't design for have fuel pass through it; ie can it handle the fuel mix?

And will there be fuel pooling issues if the hose between the SC and engine intake is a bit long and bendy?

And yes I know blow through is better, but I'm just looking at options for a cheap bolt on set up for the Lada loosely based on a Lancia Volmex set up, but using an easily available Toyota SC.

Anyone know if SC12 and 14s are any good for suck through set-ups?

Had a wee Google, but couldn't find anything especially helpful.

The main thing that concerns me is that the Toyota SC isn't design for have fuel pass through it; ie can it handle the fuel mix?

And will there be fuel pooling issues if the hose between the SC and engine intake is a bit long and bendy?

And yes I know blow through is better, but I'm just looking at options for a cheap bolt on set up for the Lada loosely based on a Lancia Volmex set up, but using an easily available Toyota SC.

The factory VX has bad enough fuel condensation problems, I would not want to run suck through with an intake that was not a straight shot in. inboard injection really is much much better.

It all depends on how your set up, if for example you mounted your supercharger directly to the top site of your intake manifold, with the carburettor on top of that, petrol pooling problems wouldnt be too bad.

If you are remotey mounting the blower with pipework running to the engine i definatly do not recomend it.

As Testament said, injection is much better. But of coarse if your on a budget this really isnt an option.

Below is a picture of a holden 6 with the blower mounted directly to the intake, this would be the easiest and safest setup for your engine.

As for running petrol through the toyota blowers, ive seen it done many times, ive also hear storys that the petrol melts the teflon edged rotors but have seen no evidence of this.

I say just go for it. Trial and error. The toyota blowers are cheap and plentifull.

aussiespeed-holden-6-supercharger-kit.jpg

1200sce5.jpg

1200s1qx0.jpg

Thats a couple of pics of mine that are pretty old now. It loves drawthrough, and goes hardies.

more pics,

16258.jpg

16257.jpg

15279.jpg

I haven't tried the nitrous yet though...........................

The toyota blowers are limited to around 10-11psi max with a drawthrough set up. There's a chance of goinmg higher with water/meth injection, but efficency plummets above that level. Detonation and broken motors enuses.

18987.jpg

18986.jpg

sorry for the high jack but I've just brought an sc12 for the hq and am wondering if i'm best to run it draw through or blow through and what sorta carb I'm gunna need to run

on a 202? bit small really. blowthrough turbo with a holley two barrel would be ok/maybe easier depending on you fab/machining skills or acces to others with said skills.

One thing of VITAL importance on any supercharger/boost conversion is the ignition timing - if you run a factory n/a distributor the ignition advance will come in too fast in all likelihood. need to think about how you will sort that out.

im a noob at s/c . but that is wwaaaay too smal for a 202 unless its at like 4psi or somthing man .

also tom is right the dizzy curve will be amazing at blwing you insides to pieces . seeing as the 202 is prob desgined for 96 leaded

Where's Mic Doohan when you need him???

I think remember Wayne saying that an SC12 is actually a more efficient supercharger than an SC14, and his theory was that you could bolt one to almost anything and gain power... Even something like a 1UZ.... But don't quote that.

sorry for the high jack but I've just brought an sc12 for the hq and am wondering if i'm best to run it draw through or blow through and what sorta carb I'm gunna need to run

A 202 is approx 3.3 liters. People run the toyota superchargers on there 3800 V6 holden engines, but dont expect to gain much more than 20hp out of your 202 with this set up.

For some cheap fun definatly run a suck through with your standard carby will be fine.

But as mongol and testament said, get the ignition timing sorted, if you dont i promise you will blow the landings off your pistons and end up with a big lump of cast iron thats only good for a boat anchor :)

As i said in the project thread I'm just doing it for fun and dont want to gain mega hp, but yeah I'm not sure how to get around the advance issue, unless changing dizzy would be the way to go, but then what to?

Just use your standard dizzy will be fine. Advance the timeing a little bit will be sweet.

Dont run to much boost, im not sure what size the crank pulley is on a 4agze but from memory its bigger than the SC pulley ? someone correct me.

If the 4agze SC is over driven from factory maybe run the SC at 1:1 ratio on your lada.

Too much boost will equal detonation which will equal dead engine.

2-4psi boost will make a huge difference to your power, if the engine doesnt die your clutch will :)

Just use your standard dizzy will be fine. Advance the timeing a little bit will be sweet.

Dont run to much boost, im not sure what size the crank pulley is on a 4agze but from memory its bigger than the SC pulley ? someone correct me.

If the 4agze SC is over driven from factory maybe run the SC at 1:1 ratio on your lada.

2-4psi boost will make a huge difference to your power, if the engine doesnt die your clutch will :)

You must mean retard the timing surely? I don't know if there are any oldschool shops that can change the springs in your distributor to stronger ones so the timing comes in more slowly. Otherwise you could lock the distributor at 20 degrees or something like that will run like total shit at some revs/loads but may prevent it from blowing up under higher loads.

You must mean retard the timing surely? .

Sorry duh im the retard. Yes retard it, not advance. Advance = pre-detonation= not good.